G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Thule Kayak Mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:15 AM

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
2018 G63
Thule Kayak Mounts

Has anyone setup a Thule kayak carrier? Ive ordered the Podium feet and the 60” bar but don’t know if it will work till it gets here. I’m hoping I can mount two Hullavators up top with this setup. In June we are heading out to kayak for a bit and I don’t want to trailer. Any help would be helpful!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Mopars
Any help would be helpful!
Do you mean "help" as in lifting it up there? (Lol)
Old 05-11-2021, 10:48 AM

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
2018 G63
I know right! Thule makes a Hullivator kayak rack which is gas strut powered. This supports 40lbs of lift and moves the kayak away and down the vehicle side 40 inches. Makes loading and tying up much simpler (I think, never actually used one). The Thule online guide doesn’t mention using two of the racks at the same time as the “normal” cross bar width is 50”. I think you need a min 60” bar which they sell. This is what I am trying to get info on. Everything should be here in the next several days and if it works I guess I will post some pics. After all, why not use the G for what its capable of?
Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Mopars
I know right! Thule makes a Hullivator kayak rack which is gas strut powered. This supports 40lbs of lift and moves the kayak away and down the vehicle side 40 inches. Makes loading and tying up much simpler (I think, never actually used one). The Thule online guide doesn’t mention using two of the racks at the same time as the “normal” cross bar width is 50”. I think you need a min 60” bar which they sell. This is what I am trying to get info on. Everything should be here in the next several days and if it works I guess I will post some pics. After all, why not use the G for what its capable of?
Did you consider a "Vertiyak"? (https://www.glrv.com/parts-accessori...ak-kayak-rack/). This is what I'd use for a single person kayak (<10 ft. long) -- likely I could get it on and off alone (my dog comes along only to ride).