G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

G63 burn engine oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 11:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
G63
G63 burn engine oil?

Hey guys it’s me seeking advise/thoughts/opinion again.

So my 2021 G63 has done about 7500km and a few days ago there was a dashboard message asking me to refill 1L of engine oil. Got it done at my dealer and also had a chat with them who advise it’s very normal for AMGs/G63s, just checking to see if this is the case on yours too?

Thanks as always.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Michael Yang
Hey guys it’s me seeking advise/thoughts/opinion again.

So my 2021 G63 has done about 7500km and a few days ago there was a dashboard message asking me to refill 1L of engine oil. Got it done at my dealer and also had a chat with them who advise it’s very normal for AMGs/G63s, just checking to see if this is the case on yours too?

Thanks as always.
IMO, it's a matter of how you've driven it. If you drove conservatively for the first 1K (break-in), and haven't been driving aggressively since (sport+, manual shifting, high RPMs) I think losing a liter of oil would be unusual. As I posted in a recent thread, I regard the oil monitoring system completely unreliable. I change my oil twice as often as spec'd (every 5K miles rather than 10K miles) and I measure the waste oil as a way to asess oil consumption (for me neglible at 1K, 5K and 10K miles). The oil monitoring system is setup to measure oil level during engine operation rather than prior to starting the engine, and MB engineers want us to believe this is more accurate. I think it's intended to make you rely on the dealer as the only way to be sure the oil level is correct.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:06 AM

G63
Originally Posted by streborx
IMO, it's a matter of how you've driven it. If you drove conservatively for the first 1K (break-in), and haven't been driving aggressively since (sport+, manual shifting, high RPMs) I think losing a liter of oil would be unusual. As I posted in a recent thread, I regard the oil monitoring system completely unreliable. I change my oil twice as often as spec'd (every 5K miles rather than 10K miles) and I measure the waste oil as a way to asess oil consumption (for me neglible at 1K, 5K and 10K miles). The oil monitoring system is setup to measure oil level during engine operation rather than prior to starting the engine, and MB engineers want us to believe this is more accurate. I think it's intended to make you rely on the dealer as the only way to be sure the oil level is correct.
Thanks for this. Yes break-in was conservative, and after that I do go into S+ pretty often as well as play around by turning the “louder” mode on in comfort almost everyday, also I use the car as daily drive and traffic jams is almost a daily norm. So all of that combined I guess the answer is normal for 1L of engine oil so far for almost 8000kms?
Old 08-07-2021, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Thanks for this. Yes break-in was conservative, and after that I do go into S+ pretty often as well as play around by turning the “louder” mode on in comfort almost everyday, also I use the car as daily drive and traffic jams is almost a daily norm. So all of that combined I guess the answer is normal for 1L of engine oil so far for almost 8000kms?
Even though the oil monitor display is IMO worthless, you should keep watch and if it indicates overfill anytime, head back to the dealer right away.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:20 AM

G63
Originally Posted by streborx
Even though the oil monitor display is IMO worthless, you should keep watch and if it indicates overfill anytime, head back to the dealer right away.
I wonder how would the overfill occur? Do you mean when the dealer go by oil monitor they will overfill engine oil? And if so how can I tell as I don’t think there is a “manual” stick like most Japanese cars? Although I had never tried to look in the engine bay for the engine oil stick…
Old 08-07-2021, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I wonder how would the overfill occur? Do you mean when the dealer go by oil monitor they will overfill engine oil? And if so how can I tell as I don’t think there is a “manual” stick like most Japanese cars? Although I had never tried to look in the engine bay for the engine oil stick…
There is no dipstick, and I'm not sure if there's a receptacle on the engine block where a tube and stick could be retrofitted. I'm not sure how the dealer ascertains oil level, but I can't believe it relies on the instrument panel display that requires 20 minutes of driving to register. My guess is that MB's SDS, can read the static oil level when the engine is off and the truck is parked or on the lift. If your dealer added a liter, I guess there must have been some reliable indication it was needed. I doubt the dealer drains the oil sump, measures the amount and then puts it back in with an additional liter.
BTW, all the Euro cars have adopted this dipstickless technology and every Euro car owner complains about.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63
low oil light

my 2013 g63 throws a low oil light at 6500miles(instructs me to add 1 quart), i usually change at 6000 with mobil 1 filling to high point on dipstick, takes 9.5 quarts

anyone else experience this issue, have 59,000 miles on motor
Old 09-30-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63
Originally Posted by shpanky
my 2013 g63 throws a low oil light at 6500miles(instructs me to add 1 quart), i usually change at 6000 with mobil 1 filling to high point on dipstick, takes 9.5 quarts

anyone else experience this issue, have 59,000 miles on motor
i have the same issue, i usually change oil at 6000, if i let it go to 6500 i get an add quart signal, use mobil 1, drive conservatively, I think the manual recommends 9000 mile oil changes I don’t know how that’s possible without having to add at least 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes, i do the oil changes myself and fill to high mark on dipstick, been an issue since ive owned it, bought with 25k from my partner, have 50k on it now