G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

G63 Dent on Arrival at dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS63 AMG, G63 AMG, 911 TurboS
Angry G63 Dent on Arrival at dealership

So guys after a long wait my brand new G63 arrived at the dealership only to find out a small dent above the passenger wind shield likely by a branch when the car was on the delivery truck. The dealership is sending the car to have the dent fixed at the bodyshop. I haven t even taken delivery yet. Its platinum magno..Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I believe they may have to remove the headliner to get access from inside....This sucks! I wish they transport these high end cars in an enclosed truck!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
g63dent.pdf (766.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 08:03 PM

Received 226 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I hope they can just pop it out. Make sure they fully understand how to work with that type of paint.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
How are they going to fix it, PDR or repair the damage and clear coat the entire roof ?
Honestly it's on the roof, would be almost impossible to see so I'd say you be OK?
See if dealership can help you in any way, take few thousands off or throw in some free services or even get a PPF put on the front?
If nothing else works out, ask them to put your name down for another one at MSRP and sell this one at profit and wait it out

Old 01-12-2022, 08:10 PM
SPONSOR

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by jeffdoc97
So guys after a long wait my brand new G63 arrived at the dealership only to find out a small dent above the passenger wind shield likely by a branch when the car was on the delivery truck. The dealership is sending the car to have the dent fixed at the bodyshop. I haven t even taken delivery yet. Its platinum magno..Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I believe they may have to remove the headliner to get access from inside....This sucks! I wish they transport these high end cars in an enclosed truck!!
A lot more common than you'd think, but I'd say if a small dent on your brand new G63 is your biggest problem right now, you're doing alright
Old 01-12-2022, 08:52 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2018 GLC63s, 2021 G63OB, 2021 G63MB, 2022 G63MB
if it's going to a dealership workshop rest assured it'll come out fine..you wouldn't even notice it..as for removing the liner and all; that's pretty common..
Old 01-12-2022, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To be helpful and kindof important

1. You need your dealer to be VERY CLEAR WITH YOU - RIGHT NOW - BEST CONFIRMED BY TEXT/EMAIL - on this very Specific Point :
A. will this be a Dealer or Mercedes US paid repair with NO CARFAX REPORT
B. will this be a Shipper/MercedesUS/Dealer Insured Claim WITH CAR FAX DAMAGE REPORT

2. FYI - that was No Tree Limb (sounds like Sales Guy nonsense) - that was a hard hit - and will require roof repair and FULL ROOF PAINT

3. EACH Magno painted G-Wagen is individually a bit "unique" as that Magno Paint and Magno clear coat is hand mixed for each vehicle (so you know) and Magno shop competence is based on TRAINING and EXPERIENCE.

4. There are select Dealers that have Mercedes Certified Collision Centers - and there are few/select Mercedes Certified Collision Centers that are also Magno Certified

5. There are select Body Shops that specialize in "Exotics" that also have solid experience

6. You are MORE CONCERNED if there WILL BE CARFAX DAMAGE REPORT

7. With Today's Top Dollar Values for G's - ANY OWNER needs to BE CONCERNED about the details - a MINOR DAMAGE CAR FAX REPORT is between $5K/$10K down the road as compared to all the G's that Don't Have Damage Report

Keep the beat !
The following 3 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
PeriodCorrect (01-13-2022), sweet63 (01-13-2022), z168 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBD
Is there a list somewhere for Mercedes Certified Collision Centers that are also Magno Certified?
Old 01-13-2022, 12:31 PM

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
A. will this be a Dealer or Mercedes US paid repair with NO CARFAX REPORT
Keep the beat !
Good luck with that. OP has zero control over this and it will be on the Carfax report of this car specially if any type of insurance is used.
The only way it wouldn't be on there is if you find a shady body shop that wont report it but not sure Id want my G63 serviced at such a shop.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Jetta
Some of you guys are blowing this out of proportion. The roof DOES NOT need to be painted nor will this be on carfax. This is a simple paintless dent removal that probably half the cars regardless on price on dealer floors have had done. e
Old 01-13-2022, 06:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
That is a bum deal. If you brought in a G for a trade they would take off money for that damage w/out a doubt and use it against you. In the same way, they need to compensate you for what they did and they need to fix it. Just fixing it is not enough. The value dropped when they created the dent and it will be that way forever.

Since it is fresh paint, they should be able to match the paint and make it look nice. But that dent is in the body line, the worst place. They could fill it with bondo and just paint it. You'd never know that unless you took a magnet to it or left it in cold weather (cracking). That plus if they use a puller (drill a hole), that increases the risk of rust because the factory metal treatment comes off at the hole. Either way is bad.

I'd personally be so agitated I'd refuse it unless they made me super happy with a massive discount. To quantify that, so happy that I'd be glad they dented it. Whatever you choose to do, be sure you feel good about the decision so it doesn't haunt you in the future.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:23 PM

Jetta
Originally Posted by hard top
That is a bum deal. If you brought in a G for a trade they would take off money for that damage w/out a doubt and use it against you. In the same way, they need to compensate you for what they did and they need to fix it. Just fixing it is not enough. The value dropped when they created the dent and it will be that way forever.

Since it is fresh paint, they should be able to match the paint and make it look nice. But that dent is in the body line, the worst place. They could fill it with bondo and just paint it. You'd never know that unless you took a magnet to it or left it in cold weather (cracking). That plus if they use a puller (drill a hole), that increases the risk of rust because the factory metal treatment comes off at the hole. Either way is bad.

I'd personally be so agitated I'd refuse it unless they made me super happy with a massive discount. To quantify that, so happy that I'd be glad they dented it. Whatever you choose to do, be sure you feel good about the decision so it doesn't haunt you in the future.
LOL you have to be kidding! Please stop making this a bigger deal than this is. Dealers all across the country more often than you’d like to believe make repairs to bumpers / dents / etc and then sell the car like new. His damage is so nominal. Any PDR place can fix that. It’s not as if his entire panel was damaged. Good luck trying to get any discount at all. If you don’t want the car with the small dent don’t take it the next guy in line will gladly pay way over sticker and then take it to a pdr shop where dent will be fixed for a few hundred dollars.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Originally Posted by harrish85;
LOL you have to be kidding! Please stop making this a bigger deal than this is. Dealers all across the country more often than you’d like to believe make repairs to bumpers / dents / etc and then sell the car like new. His damage is so nominal. Any PDR place can fix that. It’s not as if his entire panel was damaged. Good luck trying to get any discount at all. If you don’t want the car with the small dent don’t take it the next guy in line will gladly pay way over sticker and then take it to a pdr shop where dent will be fixed for a few hundred dollars.
It doesn't matter to me if you stand by the dealer, downplay the issue and side with them. Anyone that dents my car, especially when new (on a body line no less) is automatically on my **** list. I'm a consumer advocate and I care about how people are treated.

As far as being compensated for the value loss and damage, I think you are right. They will stick it to someone else and not even tell them it has damage. They will probably add an even higher price tag than what the OP is going to pay to boot. That is one reason why a lot of dealers are sleazy unethical bags of dirt.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:36 PM

Jetta
This is exactly what I’m saying. Unfortunately this is not a Toyota or Honda that’s a dime a dozen. The demand is through the roof and dealers are privy to this. As a result, they will shrug their shoulders on something as inconsequential as a dent. I completely agree with you regarding your statement of consumer advocacy but the fact of the matter is the dealers care about generating the most revenue. On these high end cars with higher demand then supply they will gladly pass the buck to someone else and make more money in the process.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:12 PM

I agree....their position is that they ll fix it and it will not be on carfax. Other option is they ll gladly refund me my money and sell it to the next guy. Be aware that I m getting this at MSRP!!! I ll just hope for the best.
Apparently this happens way more than we are aware ....we are just told that the car was delayed or something!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
They will fix it and it will not be on CarFax - two things buddy:

1. shoot that Dealer a email confirming that clear understanding "No CarFax Damage".

2. Down the road if Damage comes up on CarFax - then with that email copy as backup - call Mercedes Customer Care immediately and start the fire from that end.

That is to protect you !

Your Dealer is already a bit iffy - if this was Shipping Damage noted on Dealer Receipt of the Vehicle (like the Dealer told you it was) - then the Dealer reports that to MBNWA within 1 business day of receipt - and that report AUTOMATICALLY starts a MBNUSA insurance claim with the shipping company's insurance company that WILL ALWAYS SHOW UP DOWN THE ROAD (2-3 months) on CarFax when the claim closes. Slimy dealers know owners don't check their own CarFax down the road - and that CarFax does not alert you to Changes in your Cafax.

If the Dealer caused the Damage - which frankly is most likely - THEN the Dealer can choose to have repaired without Insurance Claim and No CarFax report.

So - dealer either LIED ONCE or WORST CASE is lying Twice.

The following users liked this post:
sweet63 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2021 G63
Originally Posted by harrish85
OP feel free to DM me.

I literally just went through this with Plycar and contrary to Harris’ response above, it’s a big job.

I went to a certified MB collision center and they had to drop the headliner, repair, and do a full repaint of the roof after correction. Magno will be a bigger pain in the ***. The roof shape of the G is unique, and because it’s on a crease a PDR tech can’t fix this (I went to two before going to the MB Center). Was $5,000 to repair and took 5 weeks to get parts (all roof molding strips break when you remove, and they’re back ordered from Germany).

My shipping company paid cash so nothing was on Carfax (it’s cosmetic after all so didn’t feel bad), but not sure how it’ll play out if the dealership did the damage. If they’re using any type of insurance work that shows up on Carfax you should demand a diminished value check from todays market value.

Again, feel free to DM and can share more info.
The following 2 users liked this post by AC925:
hard top (01-14-2022), Jagdpanzer (01-14-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by AC925
OP feel free to DM me.

I literally just went through this with Plycar and contrary to Harris’ response above, it’s a big job.

I went to a certified MB collision center and they had to drop the headliner, repair, and do a full repaint of the roof after correction. Magno will be a bigger pain in the ***. The roof shape of the G is unique, and because it’s on a crease a PDR tech can’t fix this (I went to two before going to the MB Center). Was $5,000 to repair and took 5 weeks to get parts (all roof molding strips break when you remove, and they’re back ordered from Germany).

My shipping company paid cash so nothing was on Carfax (it’s cosmetic after all so didn’t feel bad), but not sure how it’ll play out if the dealership did the damage. If they’re using any type of insurance work that shows up on Carfax you should demand a diminished value check from todays market value.

Again, feel free to DM and can share more info.
You were absolutely correct/......According to the MB body shop the dent will be fixed flawlessly however they have ordered parts for trim and all which are 4 weeks out so I ll have to wait for my delivery ...no car fax report will happen.
The following users liked this post:
sweet63 (01-21-2022)