Pros/cons of G63 over G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 05:58 PM
PPL

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
g63
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
”undeniably” is purely an opinion and imo it’s not a better vehicle, at least for me... My G isn’t a garage queen and I’m also not interested in a few extra horsepower when I’m daily driving it, especially as a family vehicle. I also prefer the look of the G550 over the G63 and like that I’m not overpaying for tires, brakes, and a general service every time it’s in the shop. I also think the ride on the G550 is better than a G63.

Don’t get me wrong, I get that the market is hotter for G63s and they are great models but since this is a “vs” thread it really just depends on what you’re looking for and how you plan to drive it as to which one is “better”.
You prefer the 550, that’s awesome! But that doesn’t change the fact that the g63 is the better car apples to apples. Whether it’s better for your use case is definitely subjective. imagine saying a c300 is a better than the c63. They’re both great cars, but one is definitely better. Whether it’s worth the premium is def one’s own opinion lol. I’ve owned both and daily the 63.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:29 PM

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
G550
You completely missed the point of my comment and that’s cool. Sounds like OP got what they needed!
The following users liked this post:
PPL (05-21-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by dcarrer0
I currently own a 2019 G550. Absolutely love it as my daily. Intrigued by a 2021 China Blue G63. I need some common and expert views of the 2. Why choose one over the other. Is one superior.
I know in the end it's which I prefer.
All opinions/facts appreciated and thank you for your time!

I've had both G550 and currently G63 so here's my take. I ordered the G550 in 2018 when news of a complete revamp of the G Wagon was due. I planned to do some off roading and the G63 was overkill. Pretty middle of the road spec, with night package 20" wheels and upgraded leather no carbon fiber, Burmeister, lane departure,. Standard white with the blacked-out bar and wheels looked killer.
I installed Nitto AT Ridge Runners for off roading and that changed the vehicle completely. Gave the truck an aggressive look but it didn't beat you up and the tires were quiet compared to some other AT's. The market was crazy after I bought it and continued to go nuts. I planned on keeping it as it was great for my needs.

I needed a write off for my corp and section 179 would allow me to depreciate 100% for 2022 which is the last year on vehicles over 6000 GVW. I found a couple of G63's in my area and lucked out as one dealer had a brand new 21 never registered as no one could get 22's yet. Since I had great trade bait in my G550 the delta was what i needed to cut the tax bite. The decision was do I get the G63 or pay Uncle Sam the diff. Hard choice. I took the G63 but I didn't have the luxury to spec it my way.
It had the night package on white (I live in AZ so dark colors were out) red /black leather and carbon fiber everywhere. I do like the CF steering wheel.
Great power and sound. did I mention the sound. White line parking no matter where you go. People love it and thumbs up all the time.
Downside, 22" wheels are horrible. I'm going to go to Nitto's with a higher sidewall to help ride. You are pretty limited on tire size do to rubbing fender wells unless you lift it.. The side pipes are great sounding but the chrome gets sand blasted due to all the sand in AZ. AMG could have used a better material. The exhaust tips remind me of my old '08 CLK 63. In fact they look the same. Only thing I wished was a mount for a front winch!

V8ray (05-24-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 11:25 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I've had both G550 and currently G63 so here's my take. I ordered the G550 in 2018 when news of a complete revamp of the G Wagon was due. I planned to do some off roading and the G63 was overkill. Pretty middle of the road spec, with night package 20" wheels and upgraded leather no carbon fiber, Burmeister, lane departure,. Standard white with the blacked-out bar and wheels looked killer.
I installed Nitto AT Ridge Runners for off roading and that changed the vehicle completely. Gave the truck an aggressive look but it didn't beat you up and the tires were quiet compared to some other AT's. The market was crazy after I bought it and continued to go nuts. I planned on keeping it as it was great for my needs.

I needed a write off for my corp and section 179 would allow me to depreciate 100% for 2022 which is the last year on vehicles over 6000 GVW. I found a couple of G63's in my area and lucked out as one dealer had a brand new 21 never registered as no one could get 22's yet. Since I had great trade bait in my G550 the delta was what i needed to cut the tax bite. The decision was do I get the G63 or pay Uncle Sam the diff. Hard choice. I took the G63 but I didn't have the luxury to spec it my way.
It had the night package on white (I live in AZ so dark colors were out) red /black leather and carbon fiber everywhere. I do like the CF steering wheel.
Great power and sound. did I mention the sound. White line parking no matter where you go. People love it and thumbs up all the time.
Downside, 22" wheels are horrible. I'm going to go to Nitto's with a higher sidewall to help ride. You are pretty limited on tire size do to rubbing fender wells unless you lift it.. The side pipes are great sounding but the chrome gets sand blasted due to all the sand in AZ. AMG could have used a better material. The exhaust tips remind me of my old '08 CLK 63. In fact they look the same. Only thing I wished was a mount for a front winch!
285/45/22 tire solves your problems (falken wildpeak is my recommendation) and Brabus has a front winch, but you need to spend a lot of $$ to get it: https://www.brabus.com/en/cars/tunin...64-800-00.html
Old 05-23-2023, 12:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
G63, 911S, ModelX, Tacoma
Originally Posted by Chedman13
285/45/22 tire solves your problems (falken wildpeak is my recommendation) and Brabus has a front winch, but you need to spend a lot of $$ to get it: https://www.brabus.com/en/cars/tunin...64-800-00.html
i was told these wouldn't fit. were you able to install them?
Old 05-23-2023, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Search the forum they work but just barely. I would avoid the Coopers though they are reportedly 0.2 inch thicker and if true will rub.

I know 100 percent that Nitto Ridge Grapplers work.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info on A/T. Discount Tire will mount a test tire for clearance check. I'm looking at your Falken recommendations and the new Nitto Recon Grapplers which seem to be more appropriate for the desert rather than snow.
Checked on the Brabus winch and it's $16k plus installation. If I hit the lottery its a done deal.
JImmy

Old 05-23-2023, 10:55 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
I run Falken Wildpeak on 3 cars as my winter tires - very happy with them in dry/wet/ice/snow. I use summer or all-seasons for the other 3 seasons.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:33 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
I'm running 285-45-22 no rub. Nitto recon

Old 05-25-2023, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spent two hours measuring wheel clearance based upon tire specs of current fitment vs. Nitto Recon Grapplers. It looks like there is 10mm clearance from inner fender liner. . Opened thread today and you confirmed. Tires go on tomorrow. Thank you.
Venom-AMG (05-25-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Installed the Nitto Recon Grapplers 285/45/22 today. As Venom-AMG stated no rub on full lock stationary. I'll check it on the trail with full compression, but it looks good.
Jimmy
Old 05-28-2023, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Installed the Nitto Recon Grapplers 285/45/22 today. As Venom-AMG stated no rub on full lock stationary. I'll check it on the trail with full compression, but it looks good.
Jimmy
I took the G63 out on some easy trails and a couple moderate hills and valleys yesterday about 30 miles mostly desert roads with the Nitto Recon Grapplers. Inflation set at 38/49 psi which turned to 44/55 hot. Had three passengers and about 100 lbs of gear. I thought this would be a good test to see if there was any tire rub.
1. Recons are much better on paved roads than the Ridge Grapplers. Smooth and the least noise of any A/T tire I've had.
2. On gravel and softer roads back end tended to slide. I think the recommended pressure is way too high and I'll drop it accordingly. My G550 with Ridge Grapplers was more confidence inspiring off road.
3, TAKE THE SPARE TIRE COVER OFF IF YOU GO OFF ROAD. The locking mechanism became loose and center cover fell off. Thewash board roads and vibration likely cause. UGH. Luckily a guy in a Razor caught up to me and told me "that there's a tire cover back about a mile". It's all scrapped and I'll need to get it refinished or maybe go with the 4X4 squared tire mount.
4. Ridge Grapplers if you're going to do more than 10% off road.
5. I took some sharp down hills and noticed a wee bit of rub on the inside fender liners. Not enough to wear the liner or tires.
Overall satisfied. I think the G550 was less nervous off road than the G63.
Jimmy

Old 05-28-2023, 08:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
SLS
I took the G63 out on some easy trails and a couple moderate hills and valleys yesterday about 30 miles mostly desert roads with the Nitto Recon Grapplers. Inflation set at 38/49 psi which turned to 44/55 hot. Had three passengers and about 100 lbs of gear. I thought this would be a good test to see if there was any tire rub.
1. Recons are much better on paved roads than the Ridge Grapplers. Smooth and the least noise of any A/T tire I've had.
2. On gravel and softer roads back end tended to slide. I think the recommended pressure is way too high and I'll drop it accordingly. My G550 with Ridge Grapplers was more confidence inspiring off road.
3, TAKE THE SPARE TIRE COVER OFF IF YOU GO OFF ROAD. The locking mechanism became loose and center cover fell off. Thewash board roads and vibration likely cause. UGH. Luckily a guy in a Razor caught up to me and told me "that there's a tire cover back about a mile". It's all scrapped and I'll need to get it refinished or maybe go with the 4X4 squared tire mount.
4. Ridge Grapplers if you're going to do more than 10% off road.
5. I took some sharp down hills and noticed a wee bit of rub on the inside fender liners. Not enough to wear the liner or tires.
Overall satisfied. I think the G550 was less nervous off road than the G63.
Jimmy
This is awesome. Thanks for the write-up and the report! Sounds like fun, regardless.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:07 AM
SLS

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
1998 Land Cruiser, 2003 SL500, 2024 G63
or maybe go with the 4X4 squared tire mount.
How do you cover the bolt holes when removing the existing tire mount?