G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Compatible swing-away hitch adapters?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 09:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
N/A
Compatible swing-away hitch adapters?

I’m looking for a swing away hitch adapter for my bike rack, but given how recessed the hitch mount is on the G it looks like neither the Kuat Pivot or 1-Up RakAttach will work. The Kuat has 5 3/16” clearance between the center of the hitch pin and the swing arm and the RakAttach less. Looking for other options now, but wondering if anyone has some good suggestions / experience here.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
There are receiver hitch extension adapters available that will bump your pivot adapter out by about half a foot. Should find one at Walmart in the automotive/trailer accessories aisle. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TOPTOW-Hi...7?from=/search
Old 11-23-2023, 12:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
N/A
Thanks. I’m not exactly sure why but the instructions for the pivot say not to use with an extender (guessing for an even higher weight reduction for the rack + bikes?).

I’m planning to pick up an extender as a workable setup but was hoping to find a good swing arm option that didn’t require one.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by achatgrau
Thanks. I’m not exactly sure why but the instructions for the pivot say not to use with an extender (guessing for an even higher weight reduction for the rack + bikes?).

I’m planning to pick up an extender as a workable setup but was hoping to find a good swing arm option that didn’t require one.
An extender does diminish the tongue weight spec for the vehicle's hitch, but I would think your carrier and bike(s) would be well under the 562 lb. spec. This spec is based on a 7.5" ball hitch which is about the length of the extender, so I don't think the spec would be affected at all. One consideration is the extra slop in the extender connection, but there are polymer shims available to take up this slop so the bike rack doesn't bounce excessively. Maybe a call to the pivot adapter's tech support would reveal exactly what their concern is. You could consider having the 7" extender welded to the pivot adapter to eliminate this slop if that's the manufacturer's concern.