G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Extended warranty option on G63's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 947 Likes on 724 Posts
G550
Attached is a copy of my DIY Service Schedule. My cost for an A-Service includes (a) oil & filter ($75), (b) intake cabin filter ($20), and (c) front & rear set wipers ($55) for a total of about $150. B-Service adds (a) engine air filters ($55), (b) brake fluid ($40), and (c) recirculating cabin filter ($45), which added to the A-Service brings the B-Service total to $290. Tire balance/rotate/pressure check service is no charge at my tire dealer. I do oil changes every 5K miles and vacuum the cabin and engine filters at these intermediate intervals. What dealers include in A and B services (other than oil & filter) seems to vary, but if you can get what I do at A & B intervals for double these material/parts cost, it's a bargain.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service_Schedule_Chart_A2.pdf (121.2 KB, 42 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by streborx:
Chedman13 (01-02-2024), desertg63 (06-11-2024), Hodog16 (01-03-2024), SLS (01-05-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 01:36 PM

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by SLS
Duly noted. Also, reading the maintenance brochure today, I noticed that the G63 does not include any of the AMG service items as well. I think I’ll skip buying prepaid maintenance.
Seems like it varies by dealer. The Haa mentioned getting spark plugs covered.

My dealer showed me the * that says G63's have exclusions and then it was 2-3 days of waiting to hear back from corporate to confirm no extras are covered for G63's. I've had GL63's with spark plugs, transmission oil changes, etc... all covered under the pre-paid and it was definitely worth it.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:46 PM
SPONSOR

Received 232 Likes on 178 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Just a reminder for those out of factory warranty, our provider Freedom Warranty offers extended warranty coverage on the G Wagon when options form Mercedes Benz are no longer available. Repairs accepted at all Mercedes-Benz dealers and licensed independents in the US/Canada. You can reach me a tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 if you have any questions, would like to see pricing and an example contact that explains coverage.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:50 PM

I can confirm he has the best pricing I've seen.

I would have went with him but ended up getting one from my friend's dealer.

I'll be going with Highline next time and trying it out!

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Just a reminder for those out of factory warranty, our provider Freedom Warranty offers extended warranty coverage on the G Wagon when options form Mercedes Benz are no longer available. Repairs accepted at all Mercedes-Benz dealers and licensed independents in the US/Canada. You can reach me a tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 if you have any questions, would like to see pricing and an example contact that explains coverage.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 12:53 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
2021 Night Black Magno G63
I own a 2021 G63 with 40k miles which I bought brand new from my dealer. My 4 year factory warranty expires on 11/27/24 or at 50K miles, whichever comes first, so I’ve been looking at some extended warranty options. I was quoted $7,990 from my dealer for a 3 year extended warranty from Mercedes with coverage to 100K miles. That is the option with the most amount of years and miles that's available. Are you guys getting quoted the same pricing on your 2021 G63's? I asked the dealer if it's possible to discount this price and they said no and that that's the price directly from Mercedes.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:00 PM

Here is experience from my 2014 GL63.

There is 20-30% room in that price. But some dealers will not budge. My local dealership, even when I told the F&I Manager I can literally call the Mercedes in the neighboring town and get it for 28% off MSRP - my local dealership said they cannot and won't budge on the price.

So I called the dealership 100 miles away, gave them my VIN and credit card number and purchased it for 28% cheaper.

I'd say:
1) ask to talk to the F&I manager or GM asking for a discount.
2) from my experience, a lot of stuff can go wrong especially after 40k miles. Even if you get it at $7,990 it is highly likely you break even or come out way ahead in those 3 years. I'll worry about my G63 after my 5 year aftermarket extended warranty is up. But so far they've paid for every single repair (thermostat, rear main seal, engine oil gasket leak, etc.).

Originally Posted by EJKaufman
I own a 2021 G63 with 40k miles which I bought brand new from my dealer. My 4 year factory warranty expires on 11/27/24 or at 50K miles, whichever comes first, so I’ve been looking at some extended warranty options. I was quoted $7,990 from my dealer for a 3 year extended warranty from Mercedes with coverage to 100K miles. That is the option with the most amount of years and miles that's available. Are you guys getting quoted the same pricing on your 2021 G63's? I asked the dealer if it's possible to discount this price and they said no and that that's the price directly from Mercedes.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 GLK350 & S63, 2020 C63 & G63 and 2021 GLC63
Please reach out to Art Gonzalez at Mercedes, Santa Fe. He gave the best price below Mercedes MSRP.
Leonel.gonzalez@garciacars.com
The following 3 users liked this post by puranm:
Chedman13 (01-03-2024), EJKaufman (01-03-2024), wildta (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chedman13
Here is experience from my 2014 GL63.

There is 20-30% room in that price. But some dealers will not budge. My local dealership, even when I told the F&I Manager I can literally call the Mercedes in the neighboring town and get it for 28% off MSRP - my local dealership said they cannot and won't budge on the price.

So I called the dealership 100 miles away, gave them my VIN and credit card number and purchased it for 28% cheaper.

I'd say:
1) ask to talk to the F&I manager or GM asking for a discount.
2) from my experience, a lot of stuff can go wrong especially after 40k miles. Even if you get it at $7,990 it is highly likely you break even or come out way ahead in those 3 years. I'll worry about my G63 after my 5 year aftermarket extended warranty is up. But so far they've paid for every single repair (thermostat, rear main seal, engine oil gasket leak, etc.).
What is the aftermarket warranty company that you purchased your 5 year extended warranty from?
Old 01-03-2024, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by puranm
Please reach out to Art Gonzalez at Mercedes, Santa Fe. He gave the best price below Mercedes MSRP.
Leonel.gonzalez@garciacars.com
Thanks, I just shot him an email.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:58 PM
SPONSOR

2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by EJKaufman
Just emailed you back!
EJKaufman (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla
I just purchased a CPO 2023 G63 with 1,100 miles on it. My CPO warranty is good until June 2028 -- would you suggest I look into extended warranty now, or closer to expiration of CPO warranty? (I plan on keeping this G for as long as possible, unless 2025/2026 refresh is insane and I'm compelled to trade in).
Old 01-04-2024, 10:00 AM

nice score!

If it were me, I’d go to the dealership you bought it from or email that person someone posted and buy the Extended CPO Limited Warranty now. The price goes up usually every year and if you plan to keep it might as well buy it.

At the very least you will know how much it is now vs later in case you do decide to wait.

I’ve never had an issue with getting a prorated refund for my Mercedes extended warranties when I’ve sold or traded in my car.

Note from experience usually the cpo elw is cheaper by a lot than the non cpo elw.

share the price if you find out! I always go for the longest available and highest mileage option.

the other thing to think about is waiting and using that cash in a money market or high yield savings earning 4-5%.

but at least find out the price!

Originally Posted by beau315
I just purchased a CPO 2023 G63 with 1,100 miles on it. My CPO warranty is good until June 2028 -- would you suggest I look into extended warranty now, or closer to expiration of CPO warranty? (I plan on keeping this G for as long as possible, unless 2025/2026 refresh is insane and I'm compelled to trade in).
beau315 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla
I will def reach out to some of the folks suggested on this thread -- the dealership I used, and the sales person, really tarnished the purchase experience for me. I only went through with it because I really wanted the spec they had on the lot. Will report back!
Old 01-04-2024, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I think it's important to keep in mind that an extended warranty and the price you pay for it isn't to cover replacing the transfer case at 40K miles (or some other predictable component failure). Extended warranties are designed to make the insurer a profit, and warranties are priced to collect enough money from subscribers so that there's a profit left over after paying out all the warranty claims. If this doesn't happen, the company from whom you bought the extended warranty won't be around when you need them, so shopping for the cheapest insurer might not be a great strategy. I'd pay a bit more and go with MB (even if MB is selling an independent insurer's product). What you're buying is peace of mind, and its value is probably different for each of us. Just like life insurance, it's something you hope never to have to file a claim for, but that doesn't mean it's wasted money. On a used vehicle, especially one as expensive to maintain and repair as the G (the G63 even more so), an extended warranty even on a CPO with service records is a must have. The first time you encounter a major repair, the warranty cost will be priceless.

My 2019 G550 (purchased new) just exited its 4 year manufacturer warranty. I have only 20K miles on it, and except for the several bothersome recalls (none of which ever manifested symptoms), the vehicle has been flawless (I did replace the starter battery at 3.5 years, but this cost only $225 to do myself; and a stone cracked the windshield last year that my insurer paid for fully). I do all the periodic A and B service maintenance myself, and I keep a close watch on the underbelly when I change the oil at 5K intervals. I've not experienced any unusual noises, handling, performance, wear, fluid level/leak or behavioral problems. It's garaged all the time when it's not being driven, and my driving style is way less than spirited and adventurous. Based on all this, an extended warranty costing $8K plus/minus is not likely to improve my peace of mind.
desertg63 (02-19-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:15 PM

Well said on the extended warranties.

My 2019 G550 was issue free and had it until 2023 with about 30,000 miles until I traded it in for a 2019 G63.

I am not a handy person, so not sure if this is possible - but from my $20k+ in repairs between 42,000 miles to 43,000 miles I'd suggest:
1) checking the air oil separators and make sure they're not clogged (is it possible to check?). They caused a suction issue and the rear main seal gasket sucked in and caused a leak. Warranty would not cover checking the air oil separators and I informed the dealer as I told them others have said on forums this was the issue. So the rear main seal was replaced and the leak came back immediately within 100 miles of driving. I took it back and the air oil separators this time were checked and they were clogged and replaced under extended warranty - I didn't see the total bill but I think it's $5-6k retail for the air/oil separators and $5-6k for each time the rear main seal needed to be fixed. The rear main seal was covered again, not under the extended warranty but now the Mercedes parts warranty (or something like that).

The good new is the transmission oil was drained/filled twice with the rear main seal fix (twice).

Engine oil was changed again with the air oil separators.

2) I was up for my 50k/5 year service and it was time for the front/rear axle gear oil change and spark plugs + service A. When they went to change the spark plugs, there was a pool of oil in one or two spark plug wells. There was some engine cover gasket leak, so the extended warranty covered that fix for all the labor and parts minus the spark plugs. I was okay with that and paid for the spark plugs only. I didn't have to pay for a service A either because the engine oil was changed again with the engine oil leak. I think this was another $5-6k retail warranty repair.

So maybe check your spark plug wells and see if there is any oil?

3) Check engine light went on and it was a failing thermostat. Dealership flushed my coolant twice to see if the CEL/code would go away. It didn't so they change the thermostat and that fixed it. I think this was $2-3k retail warranty repair.

I had a Zurich aftermarket extended warranty on the 2019 G550 and I don't remember the exact cost but I think it was $4k. Since you're so handy, not sure if it's worth looking into or if that amount is worth it for you. The G63 warranty price are almost double!

I feel good that my 2019 G63 is all sorted out after being in the shop a long time. Now I just need to plan what to do about rotors/pads when those come ready to be changed. Might go with a GiroDisc 2-Piece Slotted Rotor which is almost the same price as the OEM rotors (fronts only, the rear OEM single piece with parking brake I don't think I'd change).

Originally Posted by streborx
I think it's important to keep in mind that an extended warranty and the price you pay for it isn't to cover replacing the transfer case at 40K miles (or some other predictable component failure). Extended warranties are designed to make the insurer a profit, and warranties are priced to collect enough money from subscribers so that there's a profit left over after paying out all the warranty claims. If this doesn't happen, the company from whom you bought the extended warranty won't be around when you need them, so shopping for the cheapest insurer might not be a great strategy. I'd pay a bit more and go with MB (even if MB is selling an independent insurer's product). What you're buying is peace of mind, and its value is probably different for each of us. Just like life insurance, it's something you hope never to have to file a claim for, but that doesn't mean it's wasted money. On a used vehicle, especially one as expensive to maintain and repair as the G (the G63 even more so), an extended warranty even on a CPO with service records is a must have. The first time you encounter a major repair, the warranty cost will be priceless.

My 2019 G550 (purchased new) just exited its 4 year manufacturer warranty. I have only 20K miles on it, and except for the several bothersome recalls (none of which ever manifested symptoms), the vehicle has been flawless (I did replace the starter battery at 3.5 years, but this cost only $225 to do myself; and a stone cracked the windshield last year that my insurer paid for fully). I do all the periodic A and B service maintenance myself, and I keep a close watch on the underbelly when I change the oil at 5K intervals. I've not experienced any unusual noises, handling, performance, wear, fluid level/leak or behavioral problems. It's garaged all the time when it's not being driven, and my driving style is way less than spirited and adventurous. Based on all this, an extended warranty costing $8K plus/minus is not likely to improve my peace of mind.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:41 PM
SPONSOR

2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by beau315
End of CPO, numbers now would not apply the when you're ready to pull the trigger in 3.5 years.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Well said on the extended warranties.

My 2019 G550 was issue free and had it until 2023 with about 30,000 miles until I traded it in for a 2019 G63.

I am not a handy person, so not sure if this is possible - but from my $20k+ in repairs between 42,000 miles to 43,000 miles I'd suggest:
1) checking the air oil separators and make sure they're not clogged (is it possible to check?). They caused a suction issue and the rear main seal gasket sucked in and caused a leak. Warranty would not cover checking the air oil separators and I informed the dealer as I told them others have said on forums this was the issue. So the rear main seal was replaced and the leak came back immediately within 100 miles of driving. I took it back and the air oil separators this time were checked and they were clogged and replaced under extended warranty - I didn't see the total bill but I think it's $5-6k retail for the air/oil separators and $5-6k for each time the rear main seal needed to be fixed. The rear main seal was covered again, not under the extended warranty but now the Mercedes parts warranty (or something like that).

The good new is the transmission oil was drained/filled twice with the rear main seal fix (twice).

Engine oil was changed again with the air oil separators.

2) I was up for my 50k/5 year service and it was time for the front/rear axle gear oil change and spark plugs + service A. When they went to change the spark plugs, there was a pool of oil in one or two spark plug wells. There was some engine cover gasket leak, so the extended warranty covered that fix for all the labor and parts minus the spark plugs. I was okay with that and paid for the spark plugs only. I didn't have to pay for a service A either because the engine oil was changed again with the engine oil leak. I think this was another $5-6k retail warranty repair.

So maybe check your spark plug wells and see if there is any oil?

3) Check engine light went on and it was a failing thermostat. Dealership flushed my coolant twice to see if the CEL/code would go away. It didn't so they change the thermostat and that fixed it. I think this was $2-3k retail warranty repair.

I had a Zurich aftermarket extended warranty on the 2019 G550 and I don't remember the exact cost but I think it was $4k. Since you're so handy, not sure if it's worth looking into or if that amount is worth it for you. The G63 warranty price are almost double!

I feel good that my 2019 G63 is all sorted out after being in the shop a long time. Now I just need to plan what to do about rotors/pads when those come ready to be changed. Might go with a GiroDisc 2-Piece Slotted Rotor which is almost the same price as the OEM rotors (fronts only, the rear OEM single piece with parking brake I don't think I'd change).
That's an expensive repair for a cheap component failure. My understanding of oil separators is that they're glorified PCV valves, and I would think they could be tested without removal, but I would also think if one of them clogged, there would be a DTC generated, given all the pressure sensing instrumentation that gets bolted on for emissions compliance. If the G63 was CPO'd, checking that the emissions system was functioning correctly should have detected it, I would think. The p/n's for the W463A are A176-078-05-00 and -06-00 for the left and right units, and are discount priced at about $100 each -- cheap for a MB part. I can't find any information about a recommended replacement or servicing interval, but perhaps another good reason to do OBDII scans periodically. Even if there's no CEL indication, less critical codes are frequently stored.

I wonder if oil in the spark plug wells could have come from discharge from the oil separator hoses (?).

Brake jobs are another story. Other forum members have been quoted prices above $10K for pads and rotors, and needing replacement before 30K miles. Even with the dismal fuel economy of the G, a $10K brake job at 30K miles makes stopping more expensive per mile than going. I checked my pads at 20K, and fortunately they're just a sliver under 10mm (new is 12mm / replacement is 3 mm).
Old 01-04-2024, 04:08 PM

I had some recall/emissions update where they reflashed the ECU.

I noticed after the ECU update, the "4 Cylinder" symbol comes on a lot driving in comfort mode, but goes away if you turn Eco Off. I purchased the OBDII thing to code the Eco Off, I hate having it on.

My tech told me everything is crammed tight for the M177 and the simplest repairs is a lot of labor.

Oh and all my hinges rusted and had to have them replaced to brand new ones. That wasn't cheap either and not covered by warranty.

I'll be using a silicon grease to keep that from happening again.

Originally Posted by streborx
That's an expensive repair for a cheap component failure. My understanding of oil separators is that they're glorified PCV valves, and I would think they could be tested without removal, but I would also think if one of them clogged, there would be a DTC generated, given all the pressure sensing instrumentation that gets bolted on for emissions compliance. If the G63 was CPO'd, checking that the emissions system was functioning correctly should have detected it, I would think. The p/n's for the W463A are A176-078-05-00 and -06-00 for the left and right units, and are discount priced at about $100 each -- cheap for a MB part. I can't find any information about a recommended replacement or servicing interval, but perhaps another good reason to do OBDII scans periodically. Even if there's no CEL indication, less critical codes are frequently stored.

I wonder if oil in the spark plug wells could have come from discharge from the oil separator hoses (?).

Brake jobs are another story. Other forum members have been quoted prices above $10K for pads and rotors, and needing replacement before 30K miles. Even with the dismal fuel economy of the G, a $10K brake job at 30K miles makes stopping more expensive per mile than going. I checked my pads at 20K, and fortunately they're just a sliver under 10mm (new is 12mm / replacement is 3 mm).
Old 01-04-2024, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I had some recall/emissions update where they reflashed the ECU.

I noticed after the ECU update, the "4 Cylinder" symbol comes on a lot driving in comfort mode, but goes away if you turn Eco Off. I purchased the OBDII thing to code the Eco Off, I hate having it on.

My tech told me everything is crammed tight for the M177 and the simplest repairs is a lot of labor.

Oh and all my hinges rusted and had to have them replaced to brand new ones. That wasn't cheap either and not covered by warranty.

I think the 4 cylinder icon is normal indication for when the engine shuts down half its cylinders and goes into Eco mode, even in Comfort mode. I've never noticed this icon on my G550, but perhaps it's never been implemented for the 176 engine, although the Eco mode is present. If "Eco off" you refer to is the engine start/stop function, it seems to be universally despised. Mine is also disabled.

Both G550 and G63 engine compartments are crammed tight. Fortunately, fluids and filters are readily accessible, and spark plugs are yet a long ways off for me. Next time I have the engine cover off for an oil change, I'll check for the oil separators. They're somewhere in the front, but could still be tough to access.
Chedman13 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cayenne,E63S
anyone had any experience getting discount for the extend warranty in Canada? I'm planning to get it for my 21's G63 since the car had a lot of issue in my first 2 year of the ownership
Old 01-05-2024, 01:13 PM

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by slappy888
anyone had any experience getting discount for the extend warranty in Canada? I'm planning to get it for my 21's G63 since the car had a lot of issue in my first 2 year of the ownership
Mine is set to arrive in June/July and I was definitely going to ask for a discount on the 3 years/160,000km coverage. Brochure says it's $10,473 CAD for the G63 so not sure how much they'll budge if at all, but will report back.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 GLK350 & S63, 2020 C63 & G63 and 2021 GLC63
Also, MB warranty prices go up every year so cheaper to lock it now if you plan to keep the G for 7 years. If you you were to pay $7000 after 4 years towards the end of factory warranty, Mercedes calculates it from day one 4 years back when you purchased it. If you don't use the extended warranty, I believe MB will refund approx $3000 (Mercedes will calculate at $1000 per year for 7 years). Please check with the dealer about refund options.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:31 PM

Cayenne,E63S
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
Mine is set to arrive in June/July and I was definitely going to ask for a discount on the 3 years/160,000km coverage. Brochure says it's $10,473 CAD for the G63 so not sure how much they'll budge if at all, but will report back.
thx man and congrats on your new G

Last edited by slappy888; 01-05-2024 at 03:35 PM.
3.Pointed.Czar (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:33 PM

Cayenne,E63S
Originally Posted by puranm
Also, MB warranty prices go up every year so cheaper to lock it now if you plan to keep the G for 7 years. If you you were to pay $7000 after 4 years towards the end of factory warranty, Mercedes calculates it from day one 4 years back when you purchased it. If you don't use the extended warranty, I believe MB will refund approx $3000 (Mercedes will calculate at $1000 per year for 7 years). Please check with the dealer about refund options.
I believe that is only for MBUSA
puranm (01-08-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:08 PM
SLS

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
1998 Land Cruiser, 2003 SL500, 2024 G63

Are you talking about the door hinges and back door hinges? Having PPF and Ceramic Coating applied. Still need silicon grease as well?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty option on G63's