G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Falken Wildpeak AT4W

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 11:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
N/A
Falken Wildpeak AT4W

Wanted to post another data point for the 275/55/20 tire upsize discussion. Ever since picking up my G550, 275/55/20 all-terrains has been the path I thought I wanted to go. I've meandered through all the options; after daily driving, snow performance is most important to me – but since this only sees a few trips a year (vs. my 4Runner which is in the mountains/snow almost weekly), dedicated snow tires wasn't a path I wanted to go down at this time. Michelin CrossClimate2 is available in 275/50/20 and I've loved those for our use case in our Audi, but I did want something a little more substantial for summer-time mountain / forest road use. A tire puncture in the OE Pirellis recently sped up my decision, so I went with Falken Wildpeak AT4W in P metric / XL load. My initial drives have been great. There is no rub at full lock in either direction in forward or reverse, but I haven't tested at full suspension compression. There is a small difference in diameter between XL and E load LT tires according to Falken's spec sheet at the same size (31.9" vs. 32.1") so that might be something to consider, but for my use case E-load LT tires just seemed like too much. I'll add more to this thread if I run into any problems or considerations, but so far so good. (Now I've got more vested of an interest in figuring out the coding options for tire circumference, too).

Old 04-23-2024, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 906 Likes on 696 Posts
G550
My tire objectives are the same as yours -- an A/T class with 3MPSF traction rating suitable for year-round Colorado climate. I shed the OE Pirellis at 1K miles (now stored), and replaced them with Yokohama Geolander G015s in 275/55R20 (the Yoks are about an inch bigger -- no problems). I'd narrowed down my choices to the Yoks and the Falken AT4Ws, and went with the Yoks on a coin flip. Treadwear, traction, performance and handling have all been fine. I expect replacing them in another 3 years, and might try the Falkens then. Thanks for the review.