G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Burning Oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla
Burning Oil?

I guess I'm heading back to the dealership...
May 8th, noted that oil level was almost to MIN at just 3800 miles on odometer. It was previously just shy of MAX shortly at CPO purchase with 1,200 miles. I added half a quart and the level went up quite a bit almost to MAX (2nd picture) on May 10th.
Brought to dealership last week (May 15th), they said the car will tell me if it's actually low and to just drive It. They checked diagnostic codes and sent me home, ignored request for courtesy oil change.
Today, randomly checked levels, and it's now below MIN and asking for 1 quart. This is frustrating for a pretty much new vehicle. It's a hotter day today, so wouldn't oil become less viscous and expand, showing a slightly higher level than when it's colder? I've checked oil levels when the car is hot, cold, on, not on (on level ground), or while driving. All the variables, same readings every time.
Going to try a different dealership tomorrow or next week. I have not found any evidence of an oil leak.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Hard to say what happened to the car before you bought it. These engines are supposedly very sensitive to proper break-in so if you bought it used, that would be out of your control. Also, outside chance, the sensor may be faulty.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:56 AM

Tesla
Originally Posted by 300SE1993
Hard to say what happened to the car before you bought it. These engines are supposedly very sensitive to proper break-in so if you bought it used, that would be out of your control. Also, outside chance, the sensor may be faulty.
Great timing! Just spoke to the tech looking at my G. It actually is a faulty sensor. He’s ordering and scheduling a visit to swap.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
G63
Cracked Gasket? I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm not a mechanic, but my sister went through the exact same thing with her 2017 AMG C63. She got it brand new at the time. Her vehicle had no visible oil leaks on the pavement after she pulled away from parking. I'm assuming you've checked for visible leaks onto the pavement where your car is normally parked? She brought her car back to her dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong after running computer diagnostics. Each time she brought it in, all they did was refill the oil level and gave her some mumble jumble about how V8s are oil thirsty. For a period, she got used to carrying cans of extra oil in her trunk and was refilling herself almost on a biweekly basis when the level dropped too low.

I finally took her car to a different MB service shop. After a full inspection, they found a small crack in the engine valve cover gasket. Once the gasket was replaced under warranty (a very quick fix that takes 2 hours max), the oil level stayed at the normal level from that point on. I was told by the mechanic that the diagnostics ran by the other shop was not wrong, but oftentimes a cracked cover gasket is detectible only visually but not by computer readers. Maybe the diagnostics are different now, but at least that was the case back then. He did tell me a cracked gasket cover was fairly common for that generation of C63s. Mechanics typically don't like dealing with cracked engine cover gaskets - while the detection job is relatively simple and the fix is quick, it does require some physical labor from the workers.

Hope this real life experience helps. Good luck with your repair. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
G63
Congrats on finding and resolving the simple issue. Please disregard my previous post as it must have crossed with your update. Serves me right for being a slow typist...
Old 05-23-2024, 01:03 PM

Tesla
Thank you and I appreciate your reply and info, hopefully it'll help the community in the future if others come across this same issue!