G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2021 | 05:44 PM

GLE350
Ceramic coating

Taking delivery of new car in about a week. Dealer recommended the ceramic coating. We got a non-matte standard color. Worth it? At dealer or through 3rd party? Other considerations? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2021 | 06:19 PM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by newbabyg
Taking delivery of new car in about a week. Dealer recommended the ceramic coating. We got a non-matte standard color. Worth it? At dealer or through 3rd party? Other considerations? Thanks!
Hard no on the dealership doing any sort of protective coating or add-on. It’ll be a $19 spray ceramic from Turtle Wax or Mequiars vs an actual ceramic coating.

Is the truck still in transit? If so, ask them to not touch a thing. Keep plastic on the seats, cardboard in the doors, all protective material on the truck. When you pick it up, you can remove the necessary pieces to get the truck to your local detailer. Even if you dont do ceramic, have a detailer do a new car prep w good wax or sealant vs the dealership doing anything. Call them today to schedule this, most good detailers need a few weeks to get you in.

Two touchless washes after I took delivery removed their spray wax and glaze, and showed me that the “detailer” at their “5-star Maserati Dealership” next door does in fact have zero experience w a rotary polisher. Holograms all over the place after they PDI’d.

If the truck has already been PDI’d, I’m sorry, and still take it to a local detailer to prep/wax or do Ceramic.

There was a post a few weeks back about Ceramic and PPF, most folks run their trucks without either (you can’t go through a traditional car wash with either of those, and both are expensive compared to fixing paint down the line). I recommend Ceramic, but I’m a clean freak and 16 ‘63 was black. My 21 is Arabian Grey and I’m running it “naked” as its much harder to see imperfections.

Last edited by AC925; 10-27-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2021 | 06:28 PM

GLE350
Thank you so much for your detailed and informative answer. You helped direct me at the end - we are not people that baby our cars and it will be garaged in NYC where we self park ourselves. I think we don’t do anything and deal with any touch up later on. Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2021 | 09:54 PM

2021 G63; 2018 Aston Martin DB11
Congratulations! Only ceramic here.

Facebook Post