G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Dealer Not Honoring Deal on Ordered G63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2022 | 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
It doesn't matter what number is entered on the contract. The buyers order is ONLY enforceable when all the money changes hands AND the buyer takes delivery of the product.
This is indeterminant -- you're saying that once the transaction is complete the buyer's order becomes enforceable retroactively? Money has to change hands before the buyer's order price is valid? I can legally enforce the price on the buyer's order after I've paid the amount the dealer is demanding? So if the buyer's agreement is written up at MSRP, but the dealer demands MSRP +$100K, I pay the MSRP + $100K, and then I can go back to the buyer's agreement and insist I get my $100K back?

It makes more sense to say the price listed on a buyer's order is meaningless until the dealer finishes revising the buyer's order price to its satisfaction and the buyer accepts it. After this, the transaction can occur. In other words, it's a take it or leave it contract.
Old 01-20-2022 | 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by streborx
This is indeterminant -- you're saying that once the transaction is complete the buyer's order becomes enforceable retroactively? Money has to change hands before the buyer's order price is valid? I can legally enforce the price on the buyer's order after I've paid the amount the dealer is demanding? So if the buyer's agreement is written up at MSRP, but the dealer demands MSRP +$100K, I pay the MSRP + $100K, and then I can go back to the buyer's agreement and insist I get my $100K back?

It makes more sense to say the price listed on a buyer's order is meaningless until the dealer finishes revising the buyer's order price to its satisfaction and the buyer accepts it. After this, the transaction can occur. In other words, it's a take it or leave it contract.
No that's not what I said. ALL the agreed upon money changes hands, the buyer takes delivery of the car. Transaction complete. If that doesn't happen BOTH parties can walk away with no penalty. Not sure what's so hard to understand.
Old 01-20-2022 | 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
No that's not what I said. ALL the agreed upon money changes hands, the buyer takes delivery of the car. Transaction complete. If that doesn't happen BOTH parties can walk away with no penalty. Not sure what's so hard to understand.
What you said is:
"The buyers order is ONLY enforceable when all the money changes hands AND the buyer takes delivery of the product."

How does the buyer's order become enforceable if the price listed on it is not the same as the amount of money that gets passed from buyer to seller?

Please take this step by step for those of us with slower brains:

1. Buyer signs buyer order for vehicle at MSRP.
2. 12 months later, vehicle arrives and buyer shows up to take delivery.
3. Buyer presents his copy of buyer's order that states MSRP and has check for payment in full.
4. Dealer says price is now MSRP + $100K.
5. Buyer either coughs up the extra money or walks.

So with respect to the original buyer's order, what is it that is "ONLY enforceable" by which party, when and for what reason?

Old 01-21-2022 | 12:22 AM

G550
Until you have a signed purchase agreement, you do not own the car.
Whatever paper you are given by the dealer when you put your deposit is not such a purchase agreement.

How far you are willing to fight is up to you. If they wont budge on the new ADM, you can either pay up or lawyer up.
Old 01-21-2022 | 08:04 AM

2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
The whole problem is that the buyers order / order form isn't a CONTRACT. A contract would be a legally binding agreement, so the dealer would have to sell the car to the buyer at the price written on a contract. It wouldn't matter if the price is $20K below MSRP, MSRP, or $150K above MSRP and it also wouldn't matter how large or small the deposit is. The terms stated in the contract would be what matters. Since these forms are not contracts, the dealers can sleaze their way out of the agreement whether it's a good idea for their long term business or not. Until we got to the current crazy situation we have, I suspect most of us didn't realize that these orders aren't legally binding contracts and I think it's reasonable that most of us would have just assumed that they are if we had been through the process a few times and never had an issue with a dealer changing the price later on.

If enough people complain to Mercedes (or other manufacturers where the same thing may be happening), it's always possible they might do something about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As consumers, we should be prepared to get our deposit back and walk away from the purchase if a dealer pulls a stunt like this. Paying more than what you agreed to, legally binding or not, just encourages the behavior. Similarly, as consumers, if people simply refused to pay above MSRP, the dealers would stop the practice. Unfortunately, there's always going to be someone out there with deep pockets who doesn't care about throwing an extra $100K at a purchase as it's just pocket change to them. If it is just pocket change, kindly toss some of that pocket change my way - I could find a few things to do with an extra $100K or so.
The following users liked this post:
Jagdpanzer (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022 | 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Show up to the dealer. Bang the receptionist.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTV10:
Jagdpanzer (01-21-2022), places (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022 | 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by MTV10
On the desk no less! Make a statement!
Old 01-21-2022 | 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MTV10
Originally Posted by places
On the desk no less! Make a statement!
Posts like these aren't exactly helpful... I realize (hope, at least) there's a very healthy dose of sarcasm in them, but if the owner is a sleazebag, you don't take it out on the minimum wage employees.
Old 01-21-2022 | 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Deezwho
Until you have a signed purchase agreement, you do not own the car.
Whatever paper you are given by the dealer when you put your deposit is not such a purchase agreement.
To clarify this just a bit -- until you have a buyer's order signed by the dealership's SM, you do not have a purchase agreement (i.e., contract). You do not own the car until the you complete the purchase transaction and have paid for it.

Originally Posted by greynlds
The whole problem is that the buyers order / order form isn't a CONTRACT. A contract would be a legally binding agreement, so the dealer would have to sell the car to the buyer at the price written on a contract. It wouldn't matter if the price is $20K below MSRP, MSRP, or $150K above MSRP and it also wouldn't matter how large or small the deposit is.
This is precisely the case -- a buyer's order IS NOT a contract. A contract requires (1) offer, (2) acceptance and (3) consideration (ref. "My Cousin Vinny" (1992)). A buyer's order is the offer part. The deposit paid is the consideration part. The dealer's authorized representative's signature at the bottom of the buyer's order form is the acceptance part. No signature on this line means no contract -- all you have is a pending offer awaiting the dealer's acceptance, rejection or counter-offer (ibid). The dealer has no obligation to respond within any time frame in any manner. So they play the game to their advantage and wait until the car is sitting outside the showroom ready to drive away, and the key fob is laying on the desk in front of your nose. Then, the dealer makes the counter-offer -- "MSRP + $100K, take it or leave it".

Are dealers playing deceptively and dirty by letting would-be buyers think they have a purchase agreement when they don't? Probably. Is this illegal? No. A dealer has no obligation to educate buyers about buyer's orders and contract law. Caveat emptor prevails.

When is a buyer's agreement enforceable? Once it's been signed by the buyer, the seller and a deposit has been paid, it becomes a contract, and it's valid before, during and after the purchase transaction (payment is made and vehicle is delivered.

A couple years ago, I was purchasing a new vehicle. I had progressed through the buyer's order, acceptance, etc., and was sitting in the finance manager's office signing the dozens of forms that are part of the process. When I was handed the odometer disclosure statement, it listed the "new" vehicle as having 237 miles on it, while the buyer's agreement clearly stated that this VIN had only 5 miles on it. I terminated the transaction at that point and walked out despite having signed a purchase agreement. Was I legally entitled to do this? Apparently yes, because the sales manager chased me down outside and offered me an alternate essentially identical vehicle (actually with a couple more options on it) at the same price, if I was OK with 12 miles on its odometer. I returned to the finance guy's office, all the paperwork was reissued and signed, and I drove away about 2 hours later.

The bottom line? Don't walk away with an unsigned buyer's order thinking you've got a new set of wheels locked in at a bargain price.
Old 01-21-2022 | 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Posts like these aren't exactly helpful... I realize (hope, at least) there's a very healthy dose of sarcasm in them, but if the owner is a sleazebag, you don't take it out on the minimum wage employees.
Well hopefully the owner is paying their receptionist beyond minimum wage.

AND yes, sarcasm
Old 01-21-2022 | 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
When is a buyer's agreement enforceable? Once it's been signed by the buyer, the seller and a deposit has been paid, it becomes a contract, and it's valid before, during and after the purchase transaction (payment is made and vehicle is delivered.
It is NEVER enforceable, regardless of signatures or deposit paid.

A couple years ago, I was purchasing a new vehicle. I had progressed through the buyer's order, acceptance, etc., and was sitting in the finance manager's office signing the dozens of forms that are part of the process. When I was handed the odometer disclosure statement, it listed the "new" vehicle as having 237 miles on it, while the buyer's agreement clearly stated that this VIN had only 5 miles on it. I terminated the transaction at that point and walked out despite having signed a purchase agreement. Was I legally entitled to do this? Apparently yes, because the sales manager chased me down outside and offered me an alternate essentially identical vehicle (actually with a couple more options on it) at the same price, if I was OK with 12 miles on its odometer. I returned to the finance guy's office, all the paperwork was reissued and signed, and I drove away about 2 hours later.
This is an example of why it's not enforceable. Substitute price for mileage and you can see why the dealer would walk away. You walked away without penalty because the mileage listed wasn't what you thought it was. Dealer wanted to change the OP's price, not really different. I've had plenty of customers sign a buyers order, give me a deposit and either walk away or want to renegotiate. If it's ok for the buyer, it's ok for the seller. To be clear, I'm not a fan of renegotiating a deal. I think if you are going the charge over MSRP for a car be up front about it.
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:06 AM

'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
So going forward, should one sign a contract along with the deposit form ?
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Faast
Sure, but there is no guarantee on the price
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:17 AM

If you can find a dealer who will sign something that's legally binding, then yes. I have a hunch that dealer doesn't exist.
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:30 AM

'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
If you can find a dealer who will sign something that's legally binding, then yes. I have a hunch that dealer doesn't exist.
I have never bought a new car so not sure how that works but, why a dealer not commit to an agreed upon price when you leave a deposit for car with the options you chose?
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure. Find out the dealers pricing policy. Understand that you and the dealer can walk away.
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:35 AM

I have never bought a new car so not sure how that works but, why a dealer not commit to an agreed upon price when you leave a deposit for car with the options you chose?
Because they want to have the option to charge an extra $100K when the ordered car arrives... If they sign a contract at MSRP, the buyer would have legal recourse to force them to honor that price when the car arrives.
Old 01-21-2022 | 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
It is NEVER enforceable, regardless of signatures or deposit paid..
Let's see -- yesterday you said, "The buyers order is ONLY enforceable when all the money changes hands AND the buyer takes delivery of the product."

Today you're saying, "It is NEVER enforceable, regardless of signatures or deposit paid."

So are you saying it's never enforceable except for when it is, or are you saying it is enforceable except for when it's not? Or are you not sure about any of this?
Old 01-21-2022 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let's see -- yesterday you said, "The buyers order is ONLY enforceable when all the money changes hands AND the buyer takes delivery of the product."

Today you're saying, "It is NEVER enforceable, regardless of signatures or deposit paid."

So are you saying it's never enforceable except for when it is, or are you saying it is enforceable except for when it's not? Or are you not sure about any of this?
I've been in the car business for 30 years in 4 states. You seem to have some difficulty understanding this. So let me break it down one last time.
Regardless of deposits or signatures a buyers order is not legally binding on either party. You the customer cannot be compelled to take delivery of the car if you should change your mind. You the customer can try to renegotiate the terms of the deal if you think you can. Likewise the dealer can change the terms. If the manufacturer raises the price and there is no protection the dealer can raise the price. Sometimes there is an incentive and the dealer can lower the price. What's happening now with G 63's isn't the norm. However, dealers are within their rights to alter the terms of the buyers order.
A car deal is only done once ALL the money that the dealer AND the customer have agreed to changes hands and the customer takes delivery of the car.
You the customer can walk away from the deal if you haven't taken possession of the car even if you have paid in full.
99% of the time the deal is smooth. You the customer orders the car and the dealer honors the deal.
Bottom line, the assent of BOTH parties is required. Both when the deal is made and when it is time to take delivery.
Old 01-21-2022 | 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've been in the car business for 30 years in 4 states. You seem to have some difficulty understanding this. So let me break it down one last time.
Regardless of deposits or signatures a buyers order is not legally binding on either party. You the customer cannot be compelled to take delivery of the car if you should change your mind. You the customer can try to renegotiate the terms of the deal if you think you can. Likewise the dealer can change the terms. If the manufacturer raises the price and there is no protection the dealer can raise the price. Sometimes there is an incentive and the dealer can lower the price. What's happening now with G 63's isn't the norm. However, dealers are within their rights to alter the terms of the buyers order.
A car deal is only done once ALL the money that the dealer AND the customer have agreed to changes hands and the customer takes delivery of the car.
You the customer can walk away from the deal if you haven't taken possession of the car even if you have paid in full.
99% of the time the deal is smooth. You the customer orders the car and the dealer honors the deal.
Bottom line, the assent of BOTH parties is required. Both when the deal is made and when it is time to take delivery.
Bottom line, either party can cancel at any time for any reason. Period.
mercedesmax (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022 | 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by places
Bottom line, either party can cancel at any time for any reason. Period.
YES, thank you.
places (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022 | 08:14 PM

13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
YES, thank you.
mercedesmax, Can I ask if you refunded the deposit 100 percent of the time on a high dollar custom order ordered well ahead of time? When a customer defaults there is usually a charge. Do you believe in this case (the current bs state of car dealers) there should be a charge to the dealer? That dealer may not even have had the car if not for the op.

Every deal is different and regardless of the technical details, some handshakes and deposits still mean something and others are just a cash grab. In this case this is not a market adjusted price by Mercedes or inflation driven, this is only bad business and customers can only speak with their wallets, but that does not get them what they want. This industry is like every other, when there is limited supply, price rises with demand, inflation, interest. Essentially you have a choice of who you buy from and a value on your goods. Buyback price guarantees are also not in the consumers interest. F’ers trying to steal potential profit from the customer years later. Don’t sign anything like that, either. Only pay msrp or below. Tomorrow’s money needs to stay there for tomorrow. Those car dealers are sitting in mansions from all the good years having saved for today. Don’t let them screw you while they eat lobster (not that everyone here can not eat lobster).

So everyone list the bad dealers in their threads. They suck and should not be supported, ever for any reason. Leave that to the clueless rich dbags that are just emulating Kardshians cause it’s not as though this is a truck that drives well or is the most modern. Lots of choice out there. (Blah blah blah almost nobody here is keeping this thirty years and off-roading)

Good luck op. I’d have told the guy to f themselves in front of a busy showroom, at least once, while being happy to pay an honest person elsewhere an adm.

Last edited by Baltistyle; 01-22-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2022 | 04:17 AM

G550
Good rule of thumb, if the dealer tells you the deposit is refundable they mean on both parties and it's not a done deal until you have the keys in your hand and you paid the man his money.
Agree with other posters, someone should compile a naughty list of dealers who have no business ethics.

For exotic cars (eg Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc) typically the deposits are either nonrefundable or refundable only before the factory starts building it. It's also nice that most of those brands do not allow their dealers to sell new cars above MSRP.
Old 01-22-2022 | 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
mercedesmax, Can I ask if you refunded the deposit 100 percent of the time on a high dollar custom order ordered well ahead of time? When a customer defaults there is usually a charge. Do you believe in this case (the current bs state of car dealers) there should be a charge to the dealer? That dealer may not even have had the car if not for the op.

Every deal is different and regardless of the technical details, some handshakes and deposits still mean something and others are just a cash grab. In this case this is not a market adjusted price by Mercedes or inflation driven, this is only bad business and customers can only speak with their wallets, but that does not get them what they want. This industry is like every other, when there is limited supply, price rises with demand, inflation, interest. Essentially you have a choice of who you buy from and a value on your goods. Buyback price guarantees are also not in the consumers interest. F’ers trying to steal potential profit from the customer years later. Don’t sign anything like that, either. Only pay msrp or below. Tomorrow’s money needs to stay there for tomorrow. Those car dealers are sitting in mansions from all the good years having saved for today. Don’t let them screw you while they eat lobster (not that everyone here can not eat lobster).

So everyone list the bad dealers in their threads. They suck and should not be supported, ever for any reason. Leave that to the clueless rich dbags that are just emulating Kardshians cause it’s not as though this is a truck that drives well or is the most modern. Lots of choice out there. (Blah blah blah almost nobody here is keeping this thirty years and off-roading)

Good luck op. I’d have told the guy to f themselves in front of a busy showroom, at least once, while being happy to pay an honest person elsewhere an adm.
There is no such thing as a non refundable deposit. I've had customers cancel orders with me, we always return the mony. The only way a dealer could keep a deposit is if they can prove financial harm. For example, you order a purple car with polka dot seats and the dealer can't sell to anyone else without taking a big loss.
As for ADM's it's just a way of life right now. Honda and Toyota dealers are doing it. There is nothing sacred about MSRP. If any of you are business owners and you have an almost irreplaceable asset you are going to maximize your profit on it.
But, I believe the dealer needs to be upfront about it. Don't promise someone MSRP and then shake them down later.
The Butcher (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022 | 12:29 PM

There is no such thing as a non refundable deposit. I've had customers cancel orders with me, we always return the mony. The only way a dealer could keep a deposit is if they can prove financial harm. For example, you order a purple car with polka dot seats and the dealer can't sell to anyone else without taking a big loss.
As for ADM's it's just a way of life right now. Honda and Toyota dealers are doing it. There is nothing sacred about MSRP. If any of you are business owners and you have an almost irreplaceable asset you are going to maximize your profit on it.
But, I believe the dealer needs to be upfront about it. Don't promise someone MSRP and then shake them down later.
Though I will not ever pay above MSRP for a car (unless this situation continues long enough that I have to buy a new car and have no other choice), I do get it for cars that are sitting on the lot and I don't think most of us are saying the dealers shouldn't get what they can. The main dispute most of us have is on changing the price on pre-existing orders. It does suck for the dealer to give up the extra money, but sticking to your word on an order that was placed a year ago will most likely give you a customer for life rather than someone who's going to never come back AND spread the word around. So the dealer has to ask themself if asking the customer to pay $50K or $100K above what was agreed to is worth it in the long run if that customer, family members, friends, and people on the Internet never give that dealer any future business. Rather than charge the customer extra, dealers should play it up a bit that they're doing the right thing sticking to the original agreement and not trying to charge extra like other dealers are doing. It encourages customers to come back and tell people how good their experience was.

And yes, it's totally fair to tell a customer who ordered a goofy color combination that the deposit is non-refundable as long as that's made clear at the time the deposit is made. When I was looking into ordering one of my G-wagons a while back, that topic came up in conversation. I wasn't ordering anything weird, the salesperson and I were just chatting about how they would handle a situation where a customer ordered something like a pink exterior, red brake rotors, and red leather .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Not Honoring Deal on Ordered G63