G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Scan Tool for '19+ G-Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2023 | 07:00 AM

G63, G65
Scan Tool for '19+ G-Class?

Has anyone found a decent scan tool for the W463A G Wagons? I've purchased a couple on Amazon that said they were compatible, but they are not able to pull diagnostic codes for some reason. I don't need it to do anything other than read and clear CEL's. Let me know if you have found one that works!
Old 02-18-2023 | 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
I used the Foxwell NT301 OBD2 scanner from Amazon when I had a CEL at 1 week of ownership. It correctly pulled the code (thermostat issue) and I cleared it initially but after it returned, the dealer replaced it under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
The Butcher (02-26-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I bought a Topdon ArtiDiag600 about a year ago (www.topdon.com). Topdon is not a major brand name, but they make a full range of OBD devices to fit any budget. As I recall the ArtiDiag600 was about $250 on Amazon. I wanted to be able to read and reset codes mainly -- not too concerned with maintenance, modification and real-time data applications. Up until a couple weeks ago, I had only been running periodic checks just to see if anything showed up that hadn't triggered a CEL. About all I could say about this scanner was that it did read the VIN and properly identify the vehicle year, make, model and chassis number (not all scanners can do even this).

About 3 weeks ago, I replaced my starter battery after winter temps killed it. My G (2019 G550) had been sitting without much use, and the battery depleted to the point of no crank. An earlier forum post details the battery replacement which I did while keeping the truck powered with 12V via the jump start terminals.

After battery replacement, I connected the ArtiDiag600 and ran a health scan, and as expected a couple dozen error codes had been recorded as a consequence of the flat battery. Most of them were in the Drivetrain, Motor Electronics and one of the SAMs. It took a couple iterations of code reading and clearing to get them all zeroed out (maybe due to the domino nature of how error code triggering works?), but eventually everything did reset.

A couple of advantages of the ArtiDiag600:
(a) quite a bit of function for the money
(b) covers all major domestic, Euro and Asian auto brands
(c) free lifetime updates for the scanner's firmware and auto brand OBD firmware
(d) connects directly to wifi - no PC connection required
(e) sends printed diagnostic reports to your email address
(f) error codes can be searched directly via wifi/google on the scanner

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with this scanner and its capabilities. If/when I need a more powerful scanning tool, I'll definitely be looking at Topdon's more expensive models. About the only negative, which I think is true with every OBD scanner, is meager documentation. Nobody RTFMs anyway, so manufacturers don't waste their time producing comprehensive user manuals. Usually, you can learn as much futzing around with the scanner for a couple hours to see what it can do.
The following users liked this post:
The Butcher (02-26-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 11:14 AM

G63, 911S, ModelX, Tacoma
Originally Posted by streborx
I bought a Topdon ArtiDiag600 about a year ago (www.topdon.com). Topdon is not a major brand name, but they make a full range of OBD devices to fit any budget. As I recall the ArtiDiag600 was about $250 on Amazon. I wanted to be able to read and reset codes mainly -- not too concerned with maintenance, modification and real-time data applications. Up until a couple weeks ago, I had only been running periodic checks just to see if anything showed up that hadn't triggered a CEL. About all I could say about this scanner was that it did read the VIN and properly identify the vehicle year, make, model and chassis number (not all scanners can do even this).

About 3 weeks ago, I replaced my starter battery after winter temps killed it. My G (2019 G550) had been sitting without much use, and the battery depleted to the point of no crank. An earlier forum post details the battery replacement which I did while keeping the truck powered with 12V via the jump start terminals.

After battery replacement, I connected the ArtiDiag600 and ran a health scan, and as expected a couple dozen error codes had been recorded as a consequence of the flat battery. Most of them were in the Drivetrain, Motor Electronics and one of the SAMs. It took a couple iterations of code reading and clearing to get them all zeroed out (maybe due to the domino nature of how error code triggering works?), but eventually everything did reset.

A couple of advantages of the ArtiDiag600:
(a) quite a bit of function for the money
(b) covers all major domestic, Euro and Asian auto brands
(c) free lifetime updates for the scanner's firmware and auto brand OBD firmware
(d) connects directly to wifi - no PC connection required
(e) sends printed diagnostic reports to your email address
(f) error codes can be searched directly via wifi/google on the scanner

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with this scanner and its capabilities. If/when I need a more powerful scanning tool, I'll definitely be looking at Topdon's more expensive models. About the only negative, which I think is true with every OBD scanner, is meager documentation. Nobody RTFMs anyway, so manufacturers don't waste their time producing comprehensive user manuals. Usually, you can learn as much futzing around with the scanner for a couple hours to see what it can do.

There is a sleep mode... Helps if the car is going to sit for a while...
Old 02-21-2023 | 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by gokro
There is a sleep mode... Helps if the car is going to sit for a while...
Thanks for this. Owners manual lists this as "Standby Mode" and is described somewhere around pages 157-58. Access is on Nav screen by selecting "Vehicle > Vehicle Settings > Standby Mode". Ignition needs to be On, but engine needs to be Off. I had my battery maintainer connected overnight so the starter battery was fully charged. Standby Mode indicated battery would last for 14 weeks if enabled. Thought this info might be useful to others.
The following 4 users liked this post by streborx:
RedPill (02-21-2023), Surge (02-24-2023), The Butcher (02-26-2023), tonygwagon (02-21-2023)
Old 02-26-2023 | 10:50 AM

G63, G65
Thanks everyone.
Old 02-28-2023 | 09:37 AM

G63, G65
@streborx I bought the Artidiag600 and it works great. Even lets you take screen shots of the device and emails you a report if you so choose. I love the fact that it does over the air firmware updates as well. Great suggestion!