G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Dash trim & push start button replacement help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2023 | 02:34 AM

AMG GLS63
Dash trim & push start button replacement help

Hi guys

The previous owner of my 2020 G350d had it wrapped, including the interior trim pieces. In the process I assume they tried to pry out the engine start button and the trim pieces that sweeps left to right incorporating that button, using a screwdriver or something and they've damaged both the start button and the brushed aluminium look trim.

I’ve sourced the new button easily enough and will probably look to repair the trim pieces but will decide on that once off the car.

So my question, how does these come out, I read that mostly the other trim pieces pry out with removal tools but this piece isnt as straight forward, has anyone done it or have instructions please?

Thanks
Carl

Old 06-18-2023 | 07:54 AM
haa

This trim piece is secured down by the A/C vent so you will need a A/C vent removal tool such as the one listed below and start by removing the A/C vent in order to free it up and the rest will just pry off. The start button is attached to the back of this piece of trim and easy to replace once you pry it off.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by haa; 06-18-2023 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2023 | 08:55 AM

AMG GLS63
Ah ok I have these tools, not sure how comfortable I am pulling the AC vent mind.

I might see how much my local dealer will charge to replace the trim and the start stop button.

Thanks for the info on removing

Carl
Old 06-18-2023 | 07:38 PM
haa

Originally Posted by carlosamg50
Ah ok I have these tools, not sure how comfortable I am pulling the AC vent mind.

I might see how much my local dealer will charge to replace the trim and the start stop button.

Thanks for the info on removing

Carl
The Mercedes tech manual lists this as a 5 hr job requiring removal of the entire center console but I have had it done in 20 mins as I described above.
Old 06-19-2023 | 07:40 AM

AMG GLS63
Blimey, thanks.

Are there any tips to removing the AC vent, last time I did one on an GLS I recall having mixed results, some came out great others seemed like I was about to drag it apart, as if I was pulling in different places on the inner housing or something. The G has very different looking vents aswell.

After that is it simple trim clips with pull force?
Old 06-19-2023 | 07:53 PM
haa

Originally Posted by carlosamg50
Blimey, thanks.

Are there any tips to removing the AC vent, last time I did one on an GLS I recall having mixed results, some came out great others seemed like I was about to drag it apart, as if I was pulling in different places on the inner housing or something. The G has very different looking vents aswell.

After that is it simple trim clips with pull force?
The tech removed the vent for me with the tool so I can’t help you with that one but yes it was just clips beyond that. The Mercedes technical bulletin instructed removing almost half the dashboard but none of that was necessary beyond the vent.