Sponsored by:

G55 Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
G55 Shock Absorbers

Some viewers have asked about changing the shocks on their new G55 to those normally supplied on the G500.

I was pleased to see that the shocks on the '05 G55 Kompressor were much softer than on the first non-supercharged G55's. Regardless, when I first drove my new G55 it was quite obvious that the suspension was much stiffer than on my former G500's. It was tolerable, for me, except for someone riding in the back seat when you had to drive over a "dip" in the road. It was not tolerable under any circumstances, other than a totally smooth interstate highway, from my wife's perspective.

I checked part numbers and determined that the springs are the same in the G500 and G55 so the sole difference had to be in the shocks and other forum users reported the same. I ordered a set of 4 shocks using the Vin number for my former '02 G500. They arrived and I had them installed last week.

I am glad to report that the ride quality is now identical to a G500 and vastly more enjoyable. I always felt that G-wagens had an excellent ride that was superior to most SUV's and no need to compromise the ride unless someone intended to frequently take their G, off road.

Part numbers: Rears - WA-004-326-01-00. Fronts - WA-005-323-01-00. Rears list for $336, Fronts $332. If you belong to the Mercedes Club of America, many dealers will give 10% off.

I was ready to install them myself then realized that I had no way to compress the new shocks and hold the compression while I installed them. I later learned that banding straps, such as are used to band shipping cartons, can hold the compressed shock but you need some form of lever action to get them compressed. There is no way to simply push on them.

Bottom line was that I let my dealer do the job and it cost $330 for the work at their $98 per hour present labor rate.

While I did not like having to spend $1,600 for the entire project, the end result was actually worth it and my wife is much happier to ride in the G.

Any G500 owner who wants to go the other way and get stiffer shocks for off-roading, let me know. I can make you a great "deal!"
Old 03-19-2005, 07:17 AM

Did you notice any increase in body roll during cornering?

Around town I find the ride a little on the rough side and this sounds like it would be worth the money to help out the ride.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 AM

2019 G63
If there is any difference in cornering body roll, it is minimal. G's have always had a pretty stiff suspension and with their very low center of gravity managed to handle quite well. I think the change in suspension was simply in keeping with the trend to do so in other AMG models and not necessary in the G55.