Xenon headlights .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55 AMG
Xenon headlights .

Hi ..

i own a 06 G55 .. and i would like to replace the orginal headlamps with a new xenon lights .. from where i can get it online ?

and what is the diff between the Xenon and the Bi-Xenon ?

Thx in advance
Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 AM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
I had bi-xneons installed in my 05 this past august....both headlights and foglights.....I think xneons are more of the blue color and the bi xneon are more of a bright white/purple blue-ish color like the ones I have.....but to let you know when you do have them installed take it to benz and have them flash the computer so the car will except them and the light wont come on the computer all the time for headlights being out.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Various....
Originally Posted by Guido1986
I had bi-xneons installed in my 05 this past august....both headlights and foglights.....I think xneons are more of the blue color and the bi xneon are more of a bright white/purple blue-ish color like the ones I have.....but to let you know when you do have them installed take it to benz and have them flash the computer so the car will except them and the light wont come on the computer all the time for headlights being out.
Sorry to bring up old topic, no point in making new one....

Do you still have a copy of the dealer paperwork?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:44 PM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
yes I think its in my files......they charged me like $150 for a hours labor.....i was going to bye the projector lamps but a friend of mine that owns a benz shop told me they are very hard to install it needs all new wires etc and it can be very costly and not end up being right in the end.....he told me he did a CL a few yrs back and it was a nightmare plus the headlights run about $1700 a piece..................
Old 11-28-2009, 04:43 PM

2010 GLK350
xenons vs bi-xenons...

we'll get really technical on explaining the differences here:

xenon headlights are normal HID systems that are found on most cars that advertise it now. these headlights are the typical bright bluish/white ones you see and still have normal halogen high beams. the xenon low-beams are achieved in one of two ways:
1. a projector system, in which the light is emitted through a projector lens and is cut-off from blinding oncoming drivers by a graves shield. thus when driving a car with this set-up, one notices the sharp cut-off of the lowbeams. all new benzes use projectors when equipped with xenons/bi-xenons.
2. a reflector system. older benzes used this system. a cut-off is still maintained, but the light is distributed onto the road by a means of a set of reflectors behind the xenon bulb (or refractors in front--like the glass on really old headlights). no lenses are used. other examples of a reflector-based xenons are the first generation infiniti g35s, early lexuses with xenons and the like. people found this kind of xenon set-up to be not as bright as projector based system.

bi-xenon headlights are when both your low-beams and high-beams utilize the same HID bulb. this is almost always found on projector-based systems. high beams are achieved by mechanically moving the graves shield out of the way when high-beams are desired thus eliminating the sharp cut-off. all bi-xenons work in this fashion EXCEPT for the system found in the second generation toyota prius in which the entire headlight reflector is aimed up when high-beams are desired.

and as extra information:

auto-levelling xenons are when a set of motors adjust the vertical aim of your headlights while driving to prevent glaring oncoming drivers during accelaration. some cars have manual levelling system in which you can adjust the vertical aim by means of a switch inside the car. (my old car had this function.)

adaptive xenons are when a set of motors adjust the horizontal aim of your headlights while driving to so you can see more into the turns you are taking. on newer benzes, these are accompanied by a set of halogen lights that are purposely aimed from either side of your car to shine on to the sidewalk when making the turn.

Last edited by Ryan A.; 11-28-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:06 AM

2010 G55
Originally Posted by Guido1986
Can you please provide the link where I could buy the Xenon conversion kit and how much dealer charged you in total for the whole installation?