Moving to Germany with a USA Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Moving to Germany with a USA Benz

Anyone experience this?
I'm bringing my car as part of my household goods and I'm not with the U.S. Government / Military, so I'm on my own.
Questions:

Customs out of U.S. and into Germany...is it difficult? What do I have to show for the officials to release the car?

Registering... can I get a temp permit, and how long can I drive on it?
How hard is it really to convert a G-Class for German use? (shouldn't be that hard)

Cost...What is "Ballpark" annual fee for registering an 8-cylinder (500hp) 2600kg SUV?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Anyone experience this?
I'm bringing my car as part of my household goods and I'm not with the U.S. Government / Military, so I'm on my own.
Questions:

Customs out of U.S. and into Germany...is it difficult? What do I have to show for the officials to release the car?

Registering... can I get a temp permit, and how long can I drive on it?
How hard is it really to convert a G-Class for German use? (shouldn't be that hard)

Cost...What is "Ballpark" annual fee for registering an 8-cylinder (500hp) 2600kg SUV?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think shipping/ customs will be a big problem. You may want to try some of the Porsche sites such as Rennlist for further details as those cars are often shipped from here to European collectors.

If you are going to be in the Stuttgart vicinity, I may have some contacts that can assist with the conversion which I do not think will be a major task.

I'm sorry to say that the operational costs amongst registration, insurance, and fuel will be extremely high for this vehicle. Furthermore, certain cities have instituted CO2 restrictions (with mandatory windshield placcards). This means that if the car doesn't qualify, you may not have access to certain areas or face fines.

Having a G55 over there would be awesome indeed. Best of luck!

Last edited by emayer; 04-24-2011 at 04:56 PM.