Rattling sound in new G55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55
Rattling sound in new G55?

Hello Everyone,

I live in lagos, nigeria and just got a new 2011 G55 imported from the USA 2 weeks ago and noticed a rattling sound from around the passenger window when the windows are wound up and on the driver side when that window is fully wound down.

I've asked 2 different friends who also have 2011 G55's (but imported from Dubai) and they said they've had problems with a rattling sound and they each had the passenger window fail and drop and into the window sill and had to have repaired.

Is this a common complaint? It's my first G55 so wondering if it's normal or I should have it looked at. The noises are kinda of spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I should mention Lagos has some pretty bad roads so that may be the issue as when I'm on a smooth road I don't hear the noises. But once I hit a little pothole or bump, I get the rattle.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
First have the doors adjusted by th dealer...this needs to be done on almost every G-wagen every few years. I've also had to replace one or more window regulators on all 4 g-wagens I've owned, including my 2010 G55
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 AM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by jimmyg
First have the doors adjusted by th dealer...this needs to be done on almost every G-wagen every few years. I've also had to replace one or more window regulators on all 4 g-wagens I've owned, including my 2010 G55

Thanks Jimmy. I'll do just that, appreciate the guidance. Cheers.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
You should also use a special silicon grease on ALL the door hinges and the little hole in the upper part of the rear door frame. You'd be amazed how much noise that thing can generate.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by GMW
You should also use a special silicon grease on ALL the door hinges and the little hole in the upper part of the rear door frame. You'd be amazed how much noise that thing can generate.
This is very helpful information. Thank you very much.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 AM

W205 c43

The dealer adjust the doors (lock) on my G Class. But the door does not look align afterward (flat / straight line); stick out a bit ?!?!

The dealer said they adjust the door lock and make it tighter ...

Just don't quite agree with the new car have to went through such a great deal of trouble.

Design flaw maybe ?!?!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Originally Posted by milsons200
Just don't quite agree with the new car have to went through such a great deal of trouble.

Design flaw maybe ?!?!
You do realize that you bought a car designed in the 70's to be a military/utility vehicle that is still produced using many of the same techniques and tooling since then? Also, this is the last totally hand made and hand welded car in the Mercedes lineup, so these type of issues are inevitable.

Those are also the reasons that the typical G-wagon lasts much longer: easier to repair, designed for field servicing, mil-spec components.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06 AM

W205 c43
You do realize that you bought a car designed in the 70's to be a military/utility vehicle that is still produced using many of the same techniques and tooling since then? Also, this is the last totally hand made and hand welded car in the Mercedes lineup, so these type of issues are inevitable.

Those are also the reasons that the typical G-wagon lasts much longer: easier to repair, designed for field servicing, mil-spec components.

Agree I almost fall into Porsche Cayenne before the G. But I have to say this BEAST is truely unique and special in the Mercedes range.

Not many unique car available in Mercdes Benz, everyone try to cut the cost and use the common parts/design now days.