Sponsored by:

bilstein shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55, G500
bilstein shocks

My ride is super stiff. Breaks the back on highways. I was wondering if bilstein parts 241244, 553010.. Will fit, or are they just for the g500. and will these make my ride any better.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
I have the PSS9 on my C32 settings on 6 and the ride is wonderful. Tyre pressure is 36-35psi.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55, G500
I have tried them on Jeep wranglers and Land Cruiser they are amazing. I just want someone whos tried them on the G class to tell me what parts theyve used and whats it like.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Al Bastaki
My ride is super stiff. Breaks the back on highways. I was wondering if bilstein parts 241244, 553010.. Will fit, or are they just for the g500. and will these make my ride any better.
See my post Bilstein g500/g55 correct part numbers in the non AMG W463 forum.

Go to post 5 for the correct info. The Bilstein p/ns for the 2 Gs are the same for the two cars. The G55 has shorter and stiffer springs. Thus, the Bilstein dampers will moderate the ride since they have a superior design over the stock Sachs shocks. Yes the Bilsteins are black but they are the pressurized gas deign and have a lifetime warranty. They have similar damping characteristics to an HD. NB: The yellow HD shocks are not meant for these models and will not fit properly. Don't ask me how I know!

The Bilsteins are a vast ride improvement over the stock shocks but you need to let them break in for 500 miles. Then they become smooth but handle better. The jiggles go away.

Check with Bilstein if you have a later model truck post 09 just to be sure.

Last edited by grane; 03-02-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
Originally Posted by grane
See my post Bilstein g500/g55 correct part numbers in the non AMG W463 forum.

Go to post 5 for the correct info. The Bilstein p/ns for the 2 Gs are the same for the two cars. The G55 has shorter and stiffer springs. Thus, the Bilstein dampers will moderate the ride since they have a superior design over the stock Sachs shocks. Yes the Bilsteins are black but they are the pressurized gas deign and have a lifetime warranty. They have similar damping characteristics to an HD. NB: The yellow HD shocks are not meant for these models and will not fit properly. Don't ask me how I know!

The Bilsteins are a vast ride improvement over the stock shocks but you need to let them break in for 500 miles. Then they become smooth but handle better. The jiggles go away.

Check with Bilstein if you have a later model truck post 09 just to be sure.

So you replaced the shocks to Bilsteins but retained the G55 springs and still got a considerably better ride even with the shorter G55 springs?

Reason I ask is I got the Bilstein shocks along and G550 springs to replace my 2003 shocks and springs on my G55. As much as I love the stance of the stock setup, the roads here in the Philippines aren't so nice in the G. I'm gonna install the shocks and springs within the next 2 weeks but was thinking of just installing the Bilstein shocks for now to see how it rides. If still too rough I'll do the full monty and replace the springs as well.

From what you are saying, even just changing out the shocks to the Bilsteins made a big difference. This might be enough for me.

Your thoughts?