G500 Fender Flares on G55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 G55
Question G500 Fender Flares on G55

Hi Everyone,

I realize this probably deems me utterly insane, but am I the only one who thinks the G500 fender flares actually look *better* and more accurately fitting to the timeless G design than the wider 55s?

Compare (on older Gs):
500: http://files.andreimatei.com/photos/500.jpg
55: http://files.andreimatei.com/photos/55.jpg

I'm considering swapping them out, esp. since the rims I wish to put on the vehicle only come in a 9" width.

Is this a terrible idea? Will it vastly hurt my resale value? Does anyone have any Brilliant Silver 500 flares in *excellent* (I mean, needing zero paint work, flawless) condition, that they might want to swap me with? Mine are in superb condition and I can send pics to anyone interested.

I appreciate any thoughts about my lunacy in this matter!

Andrei
Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by andrei
Hi Everyone,

I realize this probably deems me utterly insane, but am I the only one who thinks the G500 fender flares actually look *better* and more accurately fitting to the timeless G design than the wider 55s?

Compare (on older Gs):
500: http://files.andreimatei.com/photos/500.jpg
55: http://files.andreimatei.com/photos/55.jpg

I'm considering swapping them out, esp. since the rims I wish to put on the vehicle only come in a 9" width.

Is this a terrible idea? Will it vastly hurt my resale value? Does anyone have any Brilliant Silver 500 flares in *excellent* (I mean, needing zero paint work, flawless) condition, that they might want to swap me with? Mine are in superb condition and I can send pics to anyone interested.

I appreciate any thoughts about my lunacy in this matter!

Andrei
........those that will agree with you probably bought G500 instead of 55. This way, you not only avoid the fender flares you don't like, but you also avoid the quad exhausts that some think, prevents you from going off road.

.........down sizing the fender flares may affect resale value it doesn't matter. It's your car, fix it up as you prefer.

.......since you have the NA G55, one option you might consider is to sell her and get a G500. You won't loose too much power and you'll have the "classic" G-wagon look you prefer and you can and you can pocket the difference in price between the higher priced G55 and the G500.

Ted
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Why are you putting narrower wheels on?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM

'04 G55
Ted: Makes sense. I like the 55 over the 500 for the nicer leather, the great exhaust note (love the side exhaust actually) the slightly beefier engine, etc. Truth be told I had been looking for 500 all along, but after 6 years of searching for the perfect vehicle, this one presented itself and I couldn't pass it up.

Jimmy: I've fallen in love with a set of rims that only come in a 9" width for our offset. Look great on a 500, not so much on a 55. I don't actually care for the stock 18s, and a set HREs is out of my budget for now. Just trying to think through different sensible options.

Andrei
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
Originally Posted by andrei
Ted: Makes sense. I like the 55 over the 500 for the nicer leather, the great exhaust note (love the side exhaust actually) the slightly beefier engine, etc. Truth be told I had been looking for 500 all along, but after 6 years of searching for the perfect vehicle, this one presented itself and I couldn't pass it up.

Jimmy: I've fallen in love with a set of rims that only come in a 9" width for our offset. Look great on a 500, not so much on a 55. I don't actually care for the stock 18s, and a set HREs is out of my budget for now. Just trying to think through different sensible options.

Andrei
Have you considered of using spacers and extended bolts to account for the difference in offset that you are after? That way you don't go through the trouble of finding and replacing fender flares.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM

'04 G55
BonitaBeast: You bring up an excellent suggestion. I've attempted to do my due diligence in researching spacers for our vehicles...with mixed results. Some seem to hint it works, some hint that its not a good idea.

I tried to use spacers on my old c230k with Brabus 19s and wheel vibration was a pretty significant issue.

Has anyone successfully run them on a G and have a recommendation? I was looking at the H&R ones...

Thanks in advance to everyone for the continued help.

Andrei
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
I believe JimmyG is using 30mm spacers with success, based on his sig.

From experience With H&R spacers, 10mm and wider have a built in hubcentric lip which allows perfect centering of the rim on the hub. I use a 10mm H&R spacer on one of my other rides and have no vibrations all the way up to 300km/h (~185mph). Anything less than 10mm do not have that built in lip which may cause uncentered mounting of the rim onto the hub. 3mm would be the max I would do without the lip since 3mm is thin enough that the hub lip from the actual wheel hub of the car would still protrude past the spacer to allow perfect centering of the rim to the hub. Some have mounted up to a 5mm spacer with no lip, but I wouldn't take that chance.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Yup, I have 30mm H&R spacers. I've also seen people use 45mm, or 2x30mm which is crazy. The majority of G55's in Dubai run with 30mm+ spacers.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 PM

'04 G55
Nice! Thank you so much BonitaBeast and JimmyG. Now that I know the H&R 30mm spacers work well, that's one less worry I have with the new rims. Once I get them on and installed, I'll post my feedback on how they worked out, just so we have another documented user with the setup. Thanks again to all.