Sponsored by:

Facelifting G55 to G63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55 AMG
Facelifting G55 to G63

IS it possible to simply order the new bumper, running lights, grill etc for the G63 and replace it on the G55? Mine is a 2005 G55 but the G63 look is a killer look.

Thanks

howie
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 AM

I am in the process of doing my upgrade. Bought the lights, side mirrors and LED lights from ebay. Only thing i have not done is the bumper. I have not seen anyone(except one company from Dubai, which does not look to convincing) which offers the a replica bumper. So maybe you can't bolt on an original unit unless you do some body modification.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM

G55 AMG
Originally Posted by pagepro
I am in the process of doing my upgrade. Bought the lights, side mirrors and LED lights from ebay. Only thing i have not done is the bumper. I have not seen anyone(except one company from Dubai, which does not look to convincing) which offers the a replica bumper. So maybe you can't bolt on an original unit unless you do some body modification.
Thanks. Can you give a link to where you got your goodies?

Howie
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Link as requested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G63-LOOK-SIL...3f6f4f&vxp=mtr
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
There are 7/8 visual exterior upgrade on the new G6x (excluding badging)

Bigger Wheels
Bigger Brakes
Flared Side Mirrors
New LEDs
New Front Bumper
New Grill
New Brush Guard (US Spec)

You could argue the addition of the trailer hitch but that is debatable; although dearly missed on my 2010G. The parktronic is another visual difference but I'm lumping that into the bumper.

/rant/

One of the reasons I purchased the G55 was the fact that the G-Wagon has largely remained unchanged. The G6x is a nice evolution of the design but I'm not convinced the look is markedly "better".

I've struggled with this and I'm actually of the opinion that the G55 is the better looking G-Wagon in its stock USA Configuration. The goofy bends of the front brush guard to accommodate the trendy LEDs and the flared side mirrors against the otherwise BOX that is the G-Wagon seem a very forced modernization. I appreciate the restraint MB held here, actually, as they had to "do something" in the way of a facelift; but I'm not convinced that any of these parts are worth upgrading to; or downgrading vis-a-vis aftermarket parts.

That said, the EU spec cars without the front brush guard look very nice along with the standard deleted side markers. The new wheels are nice and look good with the larger/more prominent brakes. I was actually going to purchase the G63 takeoff's but decided against it once i realized that they might make my existing brakes look a little tiny . And the lack of systems in the new lower bumper intake grills for the turbos will look like a ghost town.

Overall, I love the new G63 interior and exterior and would trade up in a heartbeat. But I do not in any way feel the need to replicate a facelift on my 2010.

Just my .02 cents.
/end rant

I would think differently about upgrading the pre-09s bits to a some of the more modern bits (fogs, side mirrors, brush guards) as some of those look really dated; but that's about it. But as the OP states, with the 2005, I can see wanting to make these updates since some of those parts are starting to show their age.

For now, I'm holding out for the interior cup holder solution.

Good luck to OP and please post pics!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM

G55 AMG
Originally Posted by drew138
There are 7/8 visual exterior upgrade on the new G6x (excluding badging)

Bigger Wheels
Bigger Brakes
Flared Side Mirrors
New LEDs
New Front Bumper
New Grill
New Brush Guard (US Spec)

You could argue the addition of the trailer hitch but that is debatable; although dearly missed on my 2010G. The parktronic is another visual difference but I'm lumping that into the bumper.

/rant/

One of the reasons I purchased the G55 was the fact that the G-Wagon has largely remained unchanged. The G6x is a nice evolution of the design but I'm not convinced the look is markedly "better".

I've struggled with this and I'm actually of the opinion that the G55 is the better looking G-Wagon in its stock USA Configuration. The goofy bends of the front brush guard to accommodate the trendy LEDs and the flared side mirrors against the otherwise BOX that is the G-Wagon seem a very forced modernization. I appreciate the restraint MB held here, actually, as they had to "do something" in the way of a facelift; but I'm not convinced that any of these parts are worth upgrading to; or downgrading vis-a-vis aftermarket parts.

That said, the EU spec cars without the front brush guard look very nice along with the standard deleted side markers. The new wheels are nice and look good with the larger/more prominent brakes. I was actually going to purchase the G63 takeoff's but decided against it once i realized that they might make my existing brakes look a little tiny . And the lack of systems in the new lower bumper intake grills for the turbos will look like a ghost town.

Overall, I love the new G63 interior and exterior and would trade up in a heartbeat. But I do not in any way feel the need to replicate a facelift on my 2010.

Just my .02 cents.
/end rant

I would think differently about upgrading the pre-09s bits to a some of the more modern bits (fogs, side mirrors, brush guards) as some of those look really dated; but that's about it. But as the OP states, with the 2005, I can see wanting to make these updates since some of those parts are starting to show their age.

For now, I'm holding out for the interior cup holder solution.

Good luck to OP and please post pics!
Thank you for your insight. I like the G63 look but have never really thought about it in as much depth or with as much knowledge as you obviously have. The bits I would be interested in are the new bumper, the driving LEDs and that's about it. I upgraded my lights to xenons already, the grill is different but not markedly better, brush guard is a big no no in my books. Any my 18 inch wheels look a little small in the arches!

Ideally one could just buy a new bumper and light case fitting and replace the old one but I will take another look whilst looking.

Thanks

howie
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM

G55
It's an easy thing here in Dubai, a friend of mine owns a garage (Mainly custom body kits) just like west coast customs. I can tell you that at least 2 G's are being facelifted right now, it's easy. 2005 G55? Hmm, you need:

1- the 20" G63 wheels
2- Fender flares (if you wish but the G55 stock ones will do)
3- The side mirrors
4- The front bumper
5- Grille
6- Daytime running lights + Headlight covers (They usually come in 1, find them on ebay)
7- (Possible custom fabricate the stock brush guard into making it bigger just like the g63 that goes under the DRL's, my friend custom fabricates the original G55 one into making it look like a G63).
8- Emblems obviously
9- Push the exhaust tips a bit more out (possible a welder can do the job by adding some length to the pipes before the exhaust tips).

Here are a few G500 and G55 that were done by him:

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM

G55 AMG
Originally Posted by Yamajee
It's an easy thing here in Dubai, a friend of mine owns a garage (Mainly custom body kits) just like west coast customs. I can tell you that at least 2 G's are being facelifted right now, it's easy. 2005 G55? Hmm, you need:

1- the 20" G63 wheels
3- The side mirrors
4- The front bumper
5- Grille
6- Daytime running lights + Headlight covers (They usually come in 1, find them on ebay)
7- (Possible custom fabricate the stock brush guard into making it bigger just like the g63 that goes under the DRL's, my friend custom fabricates the original G55 one into making it look like a G63).
8- Emblems obviously
9- Push the exhaust tips a bit more out (possible a welder can do the job by adding some length to the pipes before the exhaust tips).

Very nice! Does your friend have a website or contact email?

Thanks

howie
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Nope, you absolutely don't need the badging... unless of course you're changing the engine too.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 AM

G55
Originally Posted by howiebrou
Very nice! Does your friend have a website or contact email?

Thanks

howie
Not really but I can talk to him for you, lemme know what you need.

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Nope, you absolutely don't need the badging... unless of course you're changing the engine too.
Haha, well in here there's this game that's called "find what year model that G originally is" so badging would be a must to win, or last for a long time
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Haha, well in here there's this game that's called "find what year model that G originally is" so badging would be a must to win, or last for a long time
Put the old "300GE" back there where there's a line underneath connecting all the characters!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 AM

G55
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Put the old "300GE" back there where there's a line underneath connecting all the characters!
Haha! Some of them can be caught from the exhaust note, pure V6's sound way different than the M113 E50's G500 sound or the G55K
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce

1- the 20" G63 wheels
3- The side mirrors
4- The front bumper
5- Grille
8- Emblems obviously

.......nice write top. What needs to be done to the G55 brush guard to make it fit the G63 bumper. I am not clear on what custom fabrication is needed. Any details will be appreciated. Thanks

Ted
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM

G55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......nice write top. What needs to be done to the G55 brush guard to make it fit the G63 bumper. I am not clear on what custom fabrication is needed. Any details will be appreciated. Thanks

Ted
See the bars on the sides? he makes them a bit wider and longer so that it doesn't cover up the DRL's and the upright bars that support the whole brush guard are made chrome (actually the whole thing after welding the longer and wider side bars is sandpapered, and then re-painted or made chrome). Let me try to get a G55-G63 facelifted recent picture with the brush guard.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
See the bars on the sides? he makes them a bit wider and longer so that it doesn't cover up the DRL's and the upright bars that support the whole brush guard are made chrome (actually the whole thing after welding the longer and wider side bars is sandpapered, and then re-painted or made chrome). Let me try to get a G55-G63 facelifted recent picture with the brush guard.
......thanks! I think I get it. A picture if you can, will be fantastic. I take it the anchor points where the upright bars attach to the bumper are both the same? Thanks

Ted
Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 AM

G55
......thanks! I think I get it. A picture if you can, will be fantastic. I take it the anchor points where the upright bars attach to the bumper are both the same? Thanks

Ted
I'll try to get a picture asap.

Yeah I think they're left as they were/are.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
I'll try to get a picture asap.

Yeah I think they're left as they were/are.

.......my G55 just went through a complete engine rebuild with bored and sleeved cylinders, custom pistons and rods, ported heads, ported s/c inlet, 84mm tb, kleemann cams, MBH headers and 195mm pulley. To say the car is stupid fast is an understatement. However, there is a problem. Projects like this usually require upgraded cooling. With the 195mm pulley, my IAT's tend to run high. The car needs larger front mounted inter coolers. But there is no room behind the G55 front bumper for a larger inter cooler. The new G63 bumper is the perfect solution but I actually like the look of my G55 and would like to retain as much of it as possible including the current brush guard, which ozone of the earlier ones with lines in front of the headlights before they were recalled. Pics below. Since wont be changing the headlights or adding the LED's, it looks like I don't even need to modify my current brush guard at all, so long as the anchor points are the same on the new vs old bumpers.
http://www.benzphotosite.info/image/...-g55-amg-6.jpg

Ted
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Ted
I am looking for the bumper as well. I got an email from the seller that sold me the g55 grille, that they are now making the bumper. I'll keep everyone posted. They now have the g63 grille, so i'll update that. I have the xenons and leds on my 2002 g500.

Where did you get the side mirrors? I need those too, but wasn't sure how the install was since i do not have turn signals.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by rashidi4
I am looking for the bumper as well. I got an email from the seller that sold me the g55 grille, that they are now making the bumper. I'll keep everyone posted. They now have the g63 grille, so i'll update that. I have the xenons and leds on my 2002 g500.

Where did you get the side mirrors? I need those too, but wasn't sure how the install was since i do not have turn signals.
......I have the bumper. You can just get that from the dealer. That's what I did. It wasn't difficult. I don't have the side mirrors. I am not do much trying to change everything, I am mostly turning to install larger heat exchangers behiind the front bumper. There is no space behind the G55 bumper. I suppose it the car looks odd after the bumper installation, then I'll change the mirrors too. If you want the mirrors, that too is easy. You can get it from the dealer or fourbufourclub also has them for sale. It is a direct swap. No modification required

......as a side note. I was surprised that the oem G63 bumper is quite flimsy. It is made of plastic. Only the anchor point for the brush guard is made of a hard marterial. But the bumper manages to look quite rugged on the car.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 01-18-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM

......I have the bumper. You can just get that from the dealer. That's what I did. It wasn't difficult. I don't have the side mirrors. I am not do much trying to change everything, I am mostly turning to install larger heat exchangers behiind the front bumper. There is no space behind the G55 bumper. I suppose it the car looks odd after the bumper installation, then I'll change the mirrors too. If you want the mirrors, that too is easy. You can get it from the dealer or fourbufourclub also has them for sale. It is a direct swap. No modification required

......as a side note. I was surprised that the oem G63 bumper is quite flimsy. It is made of plastic. Only the anchor point for the brush guard is made of a hard marterial. But the bumper manages to look quite rugged on the car.

Ted
Is the G63 bumper a direct fit on the G55? Or you need to do some drilling for new mounting points and etc. Some photos of your installation of the G63 bumper on your G55 would be nice

Last edited by pagepro; 01-19-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM

2013 G63
Fenders are an issue for sure. The 63 fenders are shorter on the front to accommodate the meeting point of bumper.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Is the G63 bumper a direct fit on the G55? Or you need to do some drilling for new mounting points and etc. Some photos of your installation of the G63 bumper on your G55 would be nice
.....I have not installed the bumper. I am not doing it myself, but would have my body shop do it. I am not even remotely worried of it will fit. Why won't it? It's the same chassis. I am sure whatever needs to be done is not going to be anything a body shop can't do.

......as far as pictures, Yamagee has already posted pics of G500's etc with the G63 bumpers in this same thread. So I am not sure the why one would think it won't fit. It has already been done.

......I was just trying to find out if the mounting points of the brush guards are the same. I want to still use my earlier type G55 brush guards with the headlight protectors.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 01-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM

......as far as pictures, Yamagee has already posted pics of G500's etc with the G63 bumpers in this same thread. So I am not sure the why one would think it won't fit. It has already been done.

Ted
I have checked and considered the option provided by Yamagee several months ago, and the reason i didnt purchase from this particular manufacturer in the middle east is because the design bumper is not the same G63 bumper. They have the similar general outlook as the original G63 bumper, but if you inspect closely, the grills on the left and right side of the bumper are not the same as the original G63. The originals look bigger and squarish, the copy version looks smaller and longer. Also, the bumper mounting of the copy version noticeable lower, there is quite a big gap underneath the LED daytime running lights.

Last edited by pagepro; 01-19-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
I have checked and considered the option provided by Yamagee several months ago, and the reason i didnt purchase from this particular manufacturer in the middle east is because the design bumper is not the same G63 bumper. They have the similar general outlook as the original G63 bumper, but if you inspect closely, the grills on the left and right side of the bumper are not the same as the original G63. The originals look bigger and squarish, the copy version looks smaller and longer. Also, the bumper mounting of the copy version noticeable lower, there is quite a big gap underneath the LED daytime running lights.

......got it. I have the oem bumper with all the oem grill's and inserts. I really don't think Mercedes re-engineered the fenders etc. so it has never even crossed my mind that the oem G63 bumper will not fit. Really not worried about that at all. As for the grill on bumper, even the aftermarket front main grill have different mesh composition compared to the oem main grill and the main grills do fit. So I'm not sure it says anything about the bumper itself

Ted
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 PM

2013 G63
The fenders are the same width, so yes, not re-engineered. But they are cut shorter on the front end. You can't just attach the G63 bumper to the G55 front without a modification to the front fenders.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facelifting G55 to G63