Sponsored by:

Trade-in Value of Matte Paint vs Normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63, 993 C2, 997.2 Turbo S
Trade-in Value of Matte Paint vs Normal

I'm narrowing down on the purchase of a G. I'd like to buy one local but the only local options are Matte Silver and Matte Black. There is one in Texas I'm interested in that is a standard Black but will require a plain ride and shipping (etc costs).

I'm pretty open to either one but I'm trying to understand which is likely to hold its value better in terms of selling after 3-5 years.

Has anyone had an encounter that favored a positive or negative effect of selling a magna/matte paint job on a G55?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have any resale knowledge, but I can tell you that regardless of what you read online about how easy the matte paints are to take care of, I have read many more stories about what a maintenance nightmare they tend to be. I've even had a few salesman tell me they would never get the matte finish on one of their own cars.

However, I saw a guy pick his matte black G63 a month or two ago and it's hands down the perfect color for the G63. But, because of the maintenance and the small pool of potential buyers when it comes time to sell, I'm getting a more mainstream color. Also keep in mind that matte paints are a fad and seem to be losing favor with the higher end car buying crowd. Best option, if you love it, is to get the shiny black and matte wrap it for a few Gs - then, if you don't like it, remove it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
JimmyG on this forum has owned a matte grey G55 and says time and time again that his paint is more durable and easier to take care of than a regular gloss finish. He says the MB matte paint is quite robust and doesn't really run into the issues that other matte finishes have.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I have been debating this on my CLS purchase and I was able to find an owner in town that has had hers for one year and she states she has no issues with it at all and it is easy to take care off. She also mentioned that the MB flat paint is much easier than the other manufacturers. She referred to a friend that has a lambo and he can't even get the fingerprints off his paint.
If you like it, then go for it. I would not be concerned about resale. The AMG do take a big hit, we all know that, a few grand one way or another should not be driving your decision.
My car will be matte silver
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G 63 AMG
I've had two designo magno (matte) G-wagens (alanite gray and now platinum) and they are the most durable paint finishes I've had on any of the cars I've owned...and they look great on the G-wagen. Magno Night (matte black) does require a bit of extra care, but that's true for any black vehicle.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
I would argue the value would be increased with a matte finish. This is not like buying a Ferrari in hot pink.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.......the question was if the matte paint is likely to command a higher resale value. I'm sure everyone knows that while the G class has a better resale value than other Mercedes benz models, I doubt that the deprivation on a new G63 will be significantly lowered by have a matte paint. At best you be able to sell the car more quickly

Ted