Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G63 vs Range Rover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Prestige is objective, it is what other people perceived.
Perception is contra to objective.....
Objective is mind independent of feelings.

Range Rover Sport USA 2005 to 2013 YTD: 116163

G-Wagon USA sales 2002 to 2013 YTD: 15303

2013 first quarter sales:

RR Sport: 3898 and add in the plain old RR at 1755 = 5653
G wagon 612 ( all models )

To me exclusivity equates to prestige and at almost 10X the sales for Q1 2013 how can the RR compare ?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63, Range Rover Supercharged
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Perception is contra to objective.....
Objective is mind independent of feelings.

Range Rover Sport USA 2005 to 2013 YTD: 116163

G-Wagon USA sales 2002 to 2013 YTD: 15303

2013 first quarter sales:

RR Sport: 3898 and add in the plain old RR at 1755 = 5653
G wagon 612 ( all models )

To me exclusivity equates to prestige and at almost 10X the sales for Q1 2013 how can the RR compare ?
That doesn't make the G-Wagen more prestigious. Let's just be honest here -- most people think the G-Wagen is ugly. People think it's ugly and the ones who happen to like the looks go in for a test drive and find the ride horrendous compared to a Range Rover...hence the massive difference in sales between the two despite similar prices. Anyone who can afford to purchase a Range Rover can afford to purchase a G-Wagen but they don't because it simply isn't a vehicle that interests the general public.

Mercedes sells far more S-Class cars than Audi sells A8 yet the A8 certainly isn't more prestigious than the S-Class.

I've owned both the G55 and a Range Rover Supercharged and I love them both for different reasons.

Last edited by JFK/CDG; 04-17-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
The "massive difference in sales" is because the Range Rover is a more common production line vehicle.
The G-wagon is not, and the numbers manufactured since it's inception is limited by the production at Magna -Steyr in Austria.
The G-wagon is unique and is not for the masses as the Range Rover is...

One of the components of "prestigious" is exclusivity and whether you or others think it's "ugly", doesn't lessen the demand for every unit produced.
The thoughts of the masses/general public are always contra....
The "masses",and possibly you included, aren't true enthusiasts who fully understand what a vehicle is and appreciates it for those reasons.
It's more "cult-like" and this can be proven by the prices for gray-market versions prior to 2002.

The Range Rover beginning with the P38 was always a main stream "soccer mom" build and never a variant of a military spec vehicle.
Appeals to the "Escalade" type buyer who wants a bit more upscale.
Contra to the Range Rover is the Defender which was ugly, rough riding, but yet prestigious like the G-wagon.
The H1 Hummer also falls in the military vehicle class...not for the faint of heart or the soccer mom.

Your comparison of the Audi A8 to the MB S-class is false logic and has no bearing.
If the A8 had the demand of the S-Class. they would ramp up production as it's more a "commodity" build then a "special" build.

Only so many G's can be built in a production year...and it's not going to change at least until the contract with M-S is up in 2015

Last edited by RBYCC; 04-17-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM

2011 G55
^ +1!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Range Rover by Tata really sounds great............roflmao

Land Rover company used to be semi-respectable name plate, the Camel Trophy was a pretty good showcase of their cars, unfortunately those were highly modified ones billed as showroom stock, a lot of people bought the lie and bought their cars and found out soon after they were crap. Me included, never got rid of a car so fast, under a month.

Any respect left on the brand were instantly gone when Tata bought it, how embarrassing it is when someone walks up and say, oh look, that's a Range Rover by Tata.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
G63 is a Cult car,Range Rover is not.
G63 is an acquired taste,Range Rover is palatable to almost all.
Having said that,Tata ownership allowed Land Rover finally invest enough money in the development of new cars and the new product is the result.
New Range Rover is absolutely the best,most refined combo of luxury,off road ability and on road performance among SUVs bar none.
Criticizing Land Rover because of Tata ownership is just plain dumb,equal to criticizing Ferrari for being owned by Fiat,Bentley and Porsche by VW or Rolls Royce by the mediocre (as of late) BMW.
As far as I know,there is none of the Tata technology adopted in the Evoque or the Range Rover, just their money invested in better engineering then ever before.....
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM

G63
Range Rover by Tata really sounds great............roflmao

Land Rover company used to be semi-respectable name plate, the Camel Trophy was a pretty good showcase of their cars, unfortunately those were highly modified ones billed as showroom stock, a lot of people bought the lie and bought their cars and found out soon after they were crap. Me included, never got rid of a car so fast, under a month.

Any respect left on the brand were instantly gone when Tata bought it, how embarrassing it is when someone walks up and say, oh look, that's a Range Rover by Tata.
Wow...harsh words. I respect both brands. I'm happy that MB kept the G class essentially the same over these many years. However to say that LR has sold out in some way just because its now owned by Tata just doesn't make much sense.

I almost thought I was on Fchat for a second there!!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Hmm, that might have come off a little wrong. Perhaps a tad too strong.

But still doesn't change the fact that Land Rover as a car company doesn't have the strongest reputation about their build quality, the Discovery was well known for their ability to stay in the shop for half a year doing repairs and the Range Rover series not much better. Off road ability? Over rated, they are too wide for most trails and terrain response system calibration are still quite off. The Range Rover is in a curious spot in the segment, for handling the Cayenne runs circles around it, same for power and speed. For off road ability the G will leave it in the mud pool. Interior might be nice, but it's quite objective and some might argue a loaded Cayenne looks and feels better. As for looks, the current RR looks exactly like a Ford Explorer, that's a pretty bad combination.

The Defenders are a different story, almost like the G and built like a tank, too bad it doesn't have any power.

Tata is known for building low quality cars, not at Fiat level yet, much less VW. The association with Tata doesn't really help Land Rover the company at all other than the money part. Maybe in a couple decades after they have solid proof that Tata can ensure quality products from Land Rover that they can acquire the prestige again.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 AM

2011 G55
Opinions are like you know what ... everyone has one. I (as in me, personally) think LRs and RRs are the worst cars on Earth too. I also got rid of a brand new one within a month.

Saying RR isn't good because of TATA may be wrong (I insist on the may be) but saying otherwise isn't true either. I'll be frank and ask: what does TATA know about cars? Are they just injecting money (I hope so) or are/will they eventually transplant their tech on LRs/RRs? I'd say it's a matter of time but what do I know? Just a guess.

I don't know how LR is still alive. It's the car company that had the most owners in the past decade. People complain about their reliability yet they sell like hot cakes. ?

Lastly, did you see the new RR's design? WTH? Speechless. I agree, it's like a Ford Explorer. Ok, again, it's relative but still ... one's taste must suck. What about the interior? What happened to the iconic RR interior? Gone!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Behike
Opinions are like you know what ... everyone has one. I (as in me, personally) think LRs and RRs are the worst cars on Earth too. I also got rid of a brand new one within a month.

Saying RR isn't good because of TATA may be wrong (I insist on the may be) but saying otherwise isn't true either. I'll be frank and ask: what does TATA know about cars? Are they just injecting money (I hope so) or are/will they eventually transplant their tech on LRs/RRs? I'd say it's a matter of time but what do I know? Just a guess.

I don't know how LR is still alive. It's the car company that had the most owners in the past decade. People complain about their reliability yet they sell like hot cakes. ?

Lastly, did you see the new RR's design? WTH? Speechless. I agree, it's like a Ford Explorer. Ok, again, it's relative but still ... one's taste must suck. What about the interior? What happened to the iconic RR interior? Gone!
All valid points.
Yet.. they do sell like hot cakes indeed,easier to get a G63 here in Chicago then the new Range Rover SC.
Autobiography still commands a big premium.
Btw,the way it looks so far,Tata just throws money at them without any technical interference.
On another note,had a total of 11 Range Rovers since 1995,all (except 1996 model which had intermittent alarm issues) absolutely reliable,definitely spend less time in service then any of my Benzes in the same time period (also 11 cars).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM

G63
Originally Posted by absent
On another note,had a total of 11 Range Rovers since 1995,all (except 1996 model which had intermittent alarm issues) absolutely reliable,definitely spend less time in service then any of my Benzes in the same time period (also 11 cars).
This was my experience with LR over the same time period as well...the RR line specifically. Go figure.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
On another note,had a total of 11 Range Rovers since 1995.
I think most people complain about RRs after they fall out of warranty. Also, 11 cars is <20 years.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by drew138
I think most people complain about RRs after they fall out of warranty. Also, 11 cars is <20 years.
That's because of the disease I am suffering from,not being able to drive anything for more then a year.
Regardless,new cars,under warranty,suffer from different afflictions also,case in point my old SL65 which spent more time in service in my 2 years I had it, then ALL my Range Rovers combined.
It would not stop me from getting another one though,considering trade for it my CLS.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
That's because of the disease I am suffering from,not being able to drive anything for more then a year.
Regardless,new cars,under warranty,suffer from different afflictions also,case in point my old SL65 which spent more time in service in my 2 years I had it, then ALL my Range Rovers combined.
It would not stop me from getting another one though,considering trade for it my CLS.

Haha, I know. One of the reasons I finally bought the G55 was to avoid this exact issue of feeling the need to have the latest model since the style never changes. Of course, we immediately get the G63 update but I quickly got over the bug to upgrade on that one. I was close.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
lol, in one breath talking about true enthusiasm for what the truck is designed for and meant to be, and in the next whining about exclusivity.

The G is exclusive until you realize that any ******* with $30k can buy a 2001 that looks 95% the same on ebay all day long.

buy a G because you like the looks, the terrible ride, the old world assembly, and the off road performance. leave the bull**** prestige and whatever else to the f-car *******.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile

Originally Posted by Oliverk
lol, in one breath talking about true enthusiasm for what the truck is designed for and meant to be, and in the next whining about exclusivity.

The G is exclusive until you realize that any ******* with $30k can buy a 2001 that looks 95% the same on ebay all day long.

buy a G because you like the looks, the terrible ride, the old world assembly, and the off road performance. leave the bull**** prestige and whatever else to the f-car *******.
LOL!
Post of the day,
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM

2011 G55
Murdered '11 G55

Please forgive me, but was I the only one that saw the fairly recent Mammoth Mountain episode of Top Gear U.S.A., where Tanner Foust is driving a "Brand New" Range Rover Sport with rain water leaking from the overhead dome light? I believe they had a bunch of other problems also with that vehicle. (However, in all fairness, any vehicle that those guys drive will turn to crap eventually)

I know the show is for entertainment only, but if they were looking for the best SUV, where was the Gelandewagen and the Landcruiser? Toyota maybe the biggest auto maker now, but there was a time when all they made were Landcruisers and many of them are still on the road today. (I have a few of them.) Sorry.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Prestige is objective, it is what other people perceived.

Ride quality and handling however is subjective, what one person likes maybe not be for another person.
LOL... Ahh, OK. I believe it's been well established by owners, automotive press and test drivers that the ride quality and handling is inferior to just about anything else on the road. Here's Chris Harris's take on the G63...
. And in case you can't tell from my signature, I'm anything but a G hater.

Last edited by PCH; 04-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM

G63
Originally Posted by PCH
LOL... Ahh, OK. I believe it's been well established by owners, automotive press and test drivers that the ride quality and handling is inferior to just about anything else on the road. Here's Chris Harris's take on the G63... G63 AMG: Super Sports Utility - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube. And in case you can't tell from my signature, I'm anything but a G hater.
All true....but I don't think there is anything on the SUV market that has such presence this side of an H1 Alpha.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Storybook
All true....but I don't think there is anything on the SUV market that has such presence this side of an H1 Alpha.
Tru dat or the Lambo LM001/2
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM

2011 G55
Agreed.

I remember seeing the the LM002 for the first time and thought "This is impractical", until I saw an expose on 20/20 (I think) showing what it was capable of. It was towing a 10 ton tank! At that time, it's probably like a stock Tundra towing the Space Shuttle today. It's obvious that GM must have really looked at the LM when designing the Hummer. The H1 looks like a LM on steroids.

As for the H1, I really would have owned one, as it's probably the ultimate civilian 4 wheel drive (and it matches me), but it's a 7 feet wide vehicle in a city where some of the stalls here are less that 6 feet wide and get this... some parking structures go down to 5'9". (I wonder who got paid off for those variances?) Needless to say we don't patronize those places.

As for the real world, the harsh world, they drive Landcruisers. In Africa, 9 out of 10 PHs drive Landcruisers. In Australia, most of the outback vehicles are Landcruisers. Their axles are equivalent to Dana 60s and their boxed frames are 3 times thicker than that of a Jeep. They go forever. I love my Cruisers. My G is my sports car. Actually, so are my Landcruisers, the way I drive.

The Range Rover was my dream vehicle many years ago. But then a friend of mine bought a Land Rover that spent 6 of it's first 8 months of ownership in the dealer's repair shop. Not good. Another friend/acquaintance of mine was the mechanic for a rental company that ONLY rented Land Rover Defenders. I rented one and loved it, but he told me to never, ever buy a Land Rover. Too many problems. I'm sorry, but this was only two of many negative opinions and warnings of Land Rover vehicles that kept me away. I know the Indians make awesome vehicles, but me thinks we will stick with German and Japanese (and of course American-Muscle), until the day that I can afford Italian.

Last edited by luke22:36; 04-30-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 AM

Mercedes G63 AMG, Ferrari California

finally a pro review
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM

2011 G55
Again, the Indians may make great vehicles,but a ladder frame, two live axles and three locking differentials is my idea of the ultimate vehicle. Uh, three live axles??? If you haven't seen the 6x6 G yet... You have got to check it out! The H1 and LM has got nuttin on that bad boy!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Funny, that Top Gear review sums up my feelings exactly. I narrowed my choices down to a G63, Porsche Turbo S, and RR supercharged. I test drove all three. The Porsche and Range Rover outperformed the G almost across the board. Performance, handling, and comfort of the Porsche and RR were, without question, superior to the G. After all was said and done it was a no brainier. I purchased the G63. It just oozes charisma and pushes all of the right buttons.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 AM

CL63
Originally Posted by G55K
Funny, that Top Gear review sums up my feelings exactly. I narrowed my choices down to a G63, Porsche Turbo S, and RR supercharged. I test drove all three. The Porsche and Range Rover outperformed the G almost across the board. Performance, handling, and comfort of the Porsche and RR were, without question, superior to the G. After all was said and done it was a no brainier. I purchased the G63. It just oozes charisma and pushes all of the right buttons.
While I will be keeping my 2012 Cayenne Turbo, this is exactly the reason I have ordered a G63 (matte silver, black wheels, grey/black with diamond stitching, and piano black). It is like a great mechanical watch... And probably better value than some!

Really wish I could get the 6x6 though!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G63 vs Range Rover