Sponsored by:

2003 G55 Kleemann Supercharged Update - Minor hiccup today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
2003 G55 Kleemann Supercharged Update - Minor hiccup today

After about 2 months of super smooth motoring I wanted to give an update on my Kleemann Supercharger install. After project completion I had a few minor issues with faulty Pressure Regulators. But it's been good two months or so without drama. And it has been a great daily driver.

The truck fires up quickly with one click. It idles so smoothly just like stock except louder because of the headers and downpipes. Driveability is no different than it was before the install but now I'm able to go head to head with stock second generation Cayenne Turbos (Facelift 2008 MY). 0-90mph stints are side by side even Steven. But past that speed the Cayenne pulls away. Shifting through the gears is still perfectly smooth like stock.

I did have my first hiccup today, however. When I started the engine up I expected to hear the cold start sequence where the rpm goes to about 1100-1200 then settles down to 550rpm after secondary air pump turns off but it didn't. The rpm went up to 1200 then down to 500 and puttered a bit then up to 2000 then down then up then down. I turned the engine off and started up again and it did the same thing. Tried it one more time and the rpm went up to 3000 and stayed there.

I was worried there might have been another fuel regulator leak or a problem with my fuel lines or air hoses but nothing. No leaks that I could see.

So, I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes to reset the ECU. I reconnected the battery and started her up and it was fine. Like nothing happened. Engine started up and idled perfectly. I drove ~10 miles to work and it was fine. I parked the car, shut off the engine and started it back up again and it was completely fine.

I don't know what that was but it was a little bit of a scare for me. Hopefully I won't be getting any more hiccups like that anytime soon....

Last edited by BonitaBeast; 02-19-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
I've sworn off mechanical upgrades for all of my vehicles beyond exhaust or tried and true OEM upgrades. Software upgrades are also fine as you can always revert to stock. But these complex hardware modifications are always touchy and not for the faint of heart. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM

2008 G55k
Originally Posted by drew138
I've sworn off mechanical upgrades for all of my vehicles beyond exhaust or tried and true OEM upgrades. Software upgrades are also fine as you can always revert to stock. But these complex hardware modifications are always touchy and not for the faint of heart. Thanks for keeping us posted.

When I am eventually able to purchase THE car I want when it is brand new I think I will take on that same philosophy (No Mechanical upgrades and the like; no major ones at least) :-)

Hopefully I'll have more smooth sailing from here on out...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by BonitaBeast
When I am eventually able to purchase THE car I want when it is brand new I think I will take on that same philosophy (No Mechanical upgrades and the like; no major ones at least) :-)

Hopefully I'll have more smooth sailing from here on out...

......did the problem resolve?

Ted
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM

2008 G55k
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
......did the problem resolve?

Ted

Yup all good. The problem didn't repeat again after I reconnected the battery.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Glad to hear you are up and running. You have a unique beast sleeper.

I'm going on year 2 and 20k miles with my kleemann sc and still strong.

New plugs after 9k miles makes a diff for me.

Oh and watch sc belt for stretch after 15 k miles.

Last edited by betrezra; 03-16-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM

2008 G55k
Originally Posted by betrezra
Glad to hear you are up and running. You have a unique beast sleeper.

I'm going on year 2 and 20k miles with my kleemann sc and still strong.

New plugs after 9k miles makes a diff for me.

Oh and watch sc belt for stretch after 15 k miles.

Thanks! Nice to hear your beast is going strong; in generally hot weather no less.

How did you check for belt stretch or tension?

Another thing, would you know what fuel hoses and clamps you used to connect to the Kleemann fuel pressure regulator? My hoses seem to have degraded over a short period of time maybe due to the heat under the hood and I don't want it to be the weak point of the entire system where a hose breaks or comes off from the pressure. Have you had any issues with your fuel lines?