Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for new g63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for new g63

I test drove and ordered a new g63. I was impressed to see how much more comfortable the truck is vs the previous g55 over the bumps. Still a G for sure, but much nicer ride it seems. One thing I thought was quite odd, is the truck now comes with summer performance tires rather than all season. I clearly will need to change to either all seasons or snow tires for the winter or might even just change to all season tires and leave them on all year.
My question is, for anybody that has changed to all season tires on a new g63, has that changed the ride quality at all ?

thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
Originally Posted by nyc123
I test drove and ordered a new g63. I was impressed to see how much more comfortable the truck is vs the previous g55 over the bumps. Still a G for sure, but much nicer ride it seems. One thing I thought was quite odd, is the truck now comes with summer performance tires rather than all season. I clearly will need to change to either all seasons or snow tires for the winter or might even just change to all season tires and leave them on all year.
My question is, for anybody that has changed to all season tires on a new g63, has that changed the ride quality at all ?

thanks
I immediately changed to Pirelli Ice & Snow on the OEM 20 inch wheels. Included them in the tire and wheel insurance pkg. Ride is fine considering 2 live axles and peace of mind priceless. Summer tires....a real joke in the winter
Old 12-14-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
I immediately changed to Pirelli Ice & Snow on the OEM 20 inch wheels. Included them in the tire and wheel insurance pkg. Ride is fine considering 2 live axles and peace of mind priceless. Summer tires....a real joke in the winter
For sure a joke in the winter no doubt about that. However, I think in general a joke to have summer performance tires on a g. I know 99% of the time (or more) these are on pavement but just seems a bit goofy to me to own a g even if it is a g63 and not at least have all season tires on it incase you ever want to take the truck off pavement even for a brief time. All the rugged aspects of the G wont do you any good off pavement with summer tires.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
Originally Posted by nyc123
For sure a joke in the winter no doubt about that. However, I think in general a joke to have summer performance tires on a g. I know 99% of the time (or more) these are on pavement but just seems a bit goofy to me to own a g even if it is a g63 and not at least have all season tires on it incase you ever want to take the truck off pavement even for a brief time. All the rugged aspects of the G wont do you any good off pavement with summer tires.
Totally agree, but damn all seasons are not that great in weather such as we have today.. I am out and about in the ice and snow Pirellis and they are superb..
Summer tires, probably a partnership rebate deal between auto and tire manufactures..Especially since of late the OEM brochures and manuals, expressly state "equipped with summer performance tires, not recommended for winter driving". The original Goodyear "gatorbacks" on 80's muscle never made that warning
Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
Totally agree, but damn all seasons are not that great in weather such as we have today.. I am out and about in the ice and snow Pirellis and they are superb..
Summer tires, probably a partnership rebate deal between auto and tire manufactures..Especially since of late the OEM brochures and manuals, expressly state "equipped with summer performance tires, not recommended for winter driving". The original Goodyear "gatorbacks" on 80's muscle never made that warning
Yes I agree snows are a must for winter I put them on all my cars. It's the rest of the year I am thinking of swapping to all seasons just wondering if that will change the ride quality at all
Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Mercedes G63 AMG
I just swapped the summers this morning with winter tires on my G63. I went a little more narrow, 265 50 20 instead of 275 - narrow is better. This move was just in time for for the weather we are having today in NYC. There is a big difference with winter tire performance and i am a big believer. Yes, they are louder and i'm sure they are less efficient but i want great winter traction so i don't care about those things. I had the tires already from a previous vehicle and the dealer only charged me $69 to swap all 4 tires. Not bad for the dealer..