Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension problem

the suspension for g55 is too stiff. Is it worth it to change the suspension into g 500 suspension? how much does it cost? what is the drawback of using g 500 suspension? will the car handle worst?
thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
softer suspension = less handling.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah but seeing how he has a W463 I doubt he's notice the difference in handling.

You might want to check the dealer to see how much they'd charge and relay it back to here. I'm pretty sure there are a few guys that have swapped the suspension and would be able to confirm if that's a close indication of what they paid also.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:36 AM

Re: suspension problem

Originally posted by joko
the suspension for g55 is too stiff. Is it worth it to change the suspension into g 500 suspension? how much does it cost? what is the drawback of using g 500 suspension? will the car handle worst?
thanks
If you do not like the ride of the 55 then yes it is worth the change. Just drive a 500. It will ride/handle just the same.

Ask your dealer about cost, varies from one to another. Some people have said that they got the swap under warranty, but my dealer wouldn't cover it. If I remember right it was under 2k but even that seems high.

There is a little difference in the handling, just a little more lean in corners, but thats to be expected.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...........i changed my G55 suspension. The springs are the same, but the shocks are different. The cost was $1800. I am sure it can be done cheaper. As usual the dealer burried their heads in the computer and claimed that the computer said it cannot be done.......that the fitment is different. Not true. The ride is incredibly improved. This is night and day difference. I did notice a slight increase in body roll. Lets just say that before the mod, I drove the G on weekends. since the mod, the G is my daily driver.

.........interestingly the part number for the G500 shocks is an AMG part number while the part number for the G55 shocks is a regulr MB part number.........this also confused the dealer to the extreme. Fininally I just insisyted that they order it and if it doesn't fit I'll pay. It fit!

Ted
Old 02-04-2004, 09:08 PM

suspension problem

thanks for the answer
to ted baldwin:
so i should ask the dealer only to change the shock breakers into g 500? is the shockbreaker actually amg made or is it standard mercedes made shock? when i use the g 500 shock will the handlling also improve or will it just make the ride softer?do you by any chance have the part number for the shock you order, maybe it makes it easier for the dealer to locate the stuff?
thanks for the help
Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
........I do not have the part number, but it is easy to get. I simply pulled the VIN number from a G500 on ebay and asked the dealer to order the shocks for that vIN number. You only need to change the shocks, not the springs.

Ted