Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shaking while driving

Old 12-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G55 AMG
Exclamation shaking while driving

hey there fellow G's

So I've had this issue for a while and have read on it, its the shaking of the car that happens between 55-65mph. Now people say that it is the steering damper. However this is how I consider my situation to be different, because I do get the shaking between 55-65mph and sometimes it can pretty turbulent, but this only takes place within lets say the first two miles or less of driving. And the turbulence part of it hits the most even when I am steering at a slight angle to merge on the highway since my trips always land me on the highway. Now do you also feel that this may be in fact the steering damper as well? I spoke with my service adviser and he's thinking tires, but I feel like that might be a load of crap or else the shaking wouldn't stop after two or less miles you know?

any thoughts would be great, thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS
I have noticed this as well. I had another owner tell me it was the tires, that he changed his and it solved the problem. If that's the case, I would assume after driving a bit the tires warm up and it goes away. I'm gonna be switching to snow tires soon so I'll see if I still have the problem.

If anyone else has any input about the steering damper that would be great.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
I responded to your other post in the standard w463 section too. But hoping maybe somebody here has finally found the cure...

I dealt with the SAME EXACT situation... and went thru over $12K worth of experimental repairs

New Drag Links
New Trailing Arm Bushings (twice. once with factory and second time with Poly bushings)
New Wheel Bearings
New New Control Arm Bushings
New Panhard Bushings
New Panhard Rod (after bushings alone didn't do the job)
New Shocks
New Springs
New wheels
New Tires
New Steering Damper (Twice, once with factory part and then with Bilstein gas shock upgrade)
New Transfer Case Mounts
Laser Alignment 3 times thru 2 different shops
Road Force balance 4 times thru 3 different shops
Re-tighten wheel bearings
New Transmission Mounts

STILL DEALING WITH IT. I have spent HOURS on the phone with MB USA to no avail... have had TWO Different factory dealers and one independent (ex factory master tech) do all the above work....

STILL DEALING WITH IT AND IT DRIVES ME FRICKING NUTS.

Let me know what you come up with