G63 - Potential Lemon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
G63 - Potential Lemon?

Hello all - purchased a 2015 G63 last November.

In the last 2 months, the transmission has failed to engage after driving the car and stopping at a stoplight (two times, both on Sunset Blvd in Los Angeles!). I will be driving normally in Comfort/Sport transmission modes and all of a sudden, when it is time to go when a light is green, the transmission will fail - the G63 revs to high RPMs, the car does not move forward, almost as if the car is in Neutral even though I am in drive. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

The car had 2 owners before me, but no service history at the dealer. The dealer has already replaced the shifter in the center console after the first time they discovered fault codes in the transmission. However, clearly the issue was not fixed. Even though I was at a stoplight when the transmission did not engage, I am afraid the car may not accelerate or the car will slip into neutral when driving normal speeds. The second time, the problem did not resolved itself after switching the car on/off 3 times - the first time, it resolved after 2 times. After the fourth attempt, the car's transmission became engaged.

Any thoughts? Car's first owner bought the car in July 2015 - so it still has the original factory warranty and it's a CPO. Currently at the dealer - they said the transmission threw fault codes again, but they are "opening a case with MBUSA," which my SA did not clarify exactly what that meant.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Get the VMI
Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jenz
Get the VMI
The dealer refused to give me the VMI. I tried obtaining it from 3 other dealers who also refused citing personal info as the reason the VMI cannot be viewed.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM
haa

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts
have them look at the transmission valve body (had one of those fail on my 2013 G63) and if that doesn't fix it then they will have to replace the transmission. Neither repairs are a huge deal for the dealer.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
I don't think you know what a lemon is. At least you have isolated the problem to the transmission. It's now just a matter of them replacing the entire thing which is probably the right route but attempting to repair it is usually their first attempt before replace if it's warranty. I think relationship w the dealer is also a factor sometimes. I'm sure it will be resolved.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JJCTHE1
I don't think you know what a lemon is. At least you have isolated the problem to the transmission. It's now just a matter of them replacing the entire thing which is probably the right route but attempting to repair it is usually their first attempt before replace if it's warranty. I think relationship w the dealer is also a factor sometimes. I'm sure it will be resolved.
With a lemon, it's not necessary to not know where the problem comes from - just that the problem can't be fixed after a number of times!

Anyways, dealer replaced the transmission valve body citing they didn't know what the fault codes referred to...

Of course, a few days after my car was at the dealer for weeks for the second time, the transmission failed again. Dealer said they could initiate a buyback process on Monday with MBUSA if I wanted to since dealer can't isolate the issue - has anyone dealt with a buyback in CA before?

Last edited by newyorktoLA; 06-11-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
@amaycg Were you ever able to resolve this issue, or did you end up going with the buyback option? I am in the Bay Area and I am having the same problem with my 2016 G63, except mine will actually put itself in neutral and refuses to go back into drive. I've taken it to two dealerships and neither can figure out the issue. I'd love to find someone that was able to resolve this issue so I can try pointing the mechanic in the right direction.