G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Better Phone Mount

Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55
A Better Phone Mount

Since I bought my G55 last year I have been searching for a mount that will work in the car for my iPhone 6. The best one I could find mounted to a vent, and didn't do a very good job of holding the phone in place.

For years I have been using QuadLock phone mounts on my mountain bike, which hold my phone securely in place no matter the terrain. It's an easy "twist" lock to put it on and take it off the mount. The case is also slim and fits in my pocket nicely so I don't have to switch out the iPhone case for my ride like I used to do with other mounts.

I recently noticed that QuadLock had come out with a car windshield mount, so I ordered one, despite the fact that I didn't relish the idea of a suction cup mount on the windshield of my G55. When it came, I found that it actually fit perfectly on the ashtray cover, and allowed my phone to sit right next to the shifter where I could access it and plug it into a charger. The cover of the ashtray is shiny plastic so the suction cup works perfectly, and you can't even see the suction cup. Very glad I found this so thought I would share.

QuadLock car phone mount attached to the ashtray of my G55.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 G55 AMG, 08 CL65 RennTech
Yeh but how would you charge the phone? Because the 12V is inside the ashtray cover
Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55
I have a larger 2-port "quick" charger that is plugged into the socket at the rear of the console, with the cable run up the side of the driver's seat, so it plugs in there and still leaves an open USB port for a rear passenger. There is also another socket in the passenger footwell from the factory, but I don't use that one.