Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase: Is this an issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55
Question About to purchase: Is this an issue?

I'm a new member from So Cal, and I'm about to buy a G55 from out of state.

Everything seems to be good on the truck except the alignment of the brush guard.

The dealer says that he had his mechanic out today to straighten it, but this is the best he could do.

It also seems like the lower chrome bar trim is a little off alignment too.

He texted me the following after his mechanic worked on it:

"Pretty damn straight. There are more adjustments, but the front end would need to come apart which we can't do."
"...the rest of the adjustment bolts are below."
"It's 3 or 4 hours labor just to R and R plus whatever labor to adjust."
"So he [the mechanic] can make it right, but at our deal [the price offered], this is the best it is."

Questions for you guys:
  1. Is the brush guard alignment acceptable as is?
  2. Does the misalignment indicate possible damage?
  3. Is there anything fishy about what he's saying?
  4. Do you think I can make the adjustments myself when I get it home?

Bottomline, I'm not sure if I should go ahead with the sale. I've seen G55s with a perfectly aligned brush guards, but I've also seen a few misaligned.

I honestly don't know if this is an issue I should be concerned about. But I am concerned about the resale value down the line.

You can see the misalignment by comparing what you see in the circles.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
Seems odd and I don't even know how it would get out of alignment like that. I'd say there is reason for some concern and I'd find someone, other than the seller, locally to perform a PPI. I'm guessing this isn't the MB dealer. "Pretty damn straight" isn't the kind of answer I'd like to hear. Not sure what kind of deal your getting here but there are quite a few 2009-2010 Gs Gs out there and they are fairly commoditized at this point in terms of price. I'd skip this one if it were me.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 PM

G55
Originally Posted by drew138
Seems odd and I don't even know how it would get out of alignment like that. I'd say there is reason for some concern and I'd find someone, other than the seller, locally to perform a PPI. I'm guessing this isn't the MB dealer. "Pretty damn straight" isn't the kind of answer I'd like to hear. Not sure what kind of deal your getting here but there are quite a few 2009-2010 Gs Gs out there and they are fairly commoditized at this point in terms of price. I'd skip this one if it were me.
Thanks for your input.

You're right, this is an independent used car dealer.

I was going to get a PPI done by the local Mercedes dealer, who has serviced the car many times in the past, and most recently 500 miles ago. I called the dealer and they said interestingly, that if they were me, they would skip the PPI because the last time it came in they had "no recommendations" after checking over the truck.

Originally Posted by drew138
Not sure what kind of deal your getting here
2010 G55
Black with Charcoal interior, wood trim
Everything is stock
67,200 miles
Clean Carfax and Autocheck
Was a New York truck, but the last 20K miles it's been in Nevada.
No paint scratches or swirl marks. Maybe 5 small paint chips in the front.
Interior seats have no wrinkles and are completely smooth, and look as though they haven't been sat on much.
Trunk cover and trunk mat
2 keys, manual, window sticker

Price: $60,689

He won't budge on the price, even after offering to get it financed through him so that he can make something on the back-end. (But he claims that he doesn't make anything on the financing)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
I agree with above, seems sketchy. There has to be a reason the guard is not lining up. I would pass for that price and bad feelings.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Yeah sketch for it be out of alignment. Possibly hit something. But then again, I rather it hit the brush guard than the bumper lol.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:11 PM

G55
Well I thought it was a good deal, but after the feedback here I'm going to pass.

Most of the 2010s and 2011s with 50-70K miles seem to be going for $62K+.

I liked this one because the interior was immaculate, 1 owner, and the extensive maintenance and repair history was all there.

But oh well, I'll keep looking.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Two observations.
1. How did the bumper guard get out of alignment.? I know G wagons are built like a brick shxt house. I'd get a PPI to see if there is any damage from a front end collision. . Was the service an A or B? A's are oil changes, B's are pretty through. . Most of the time there not looking for hidden damage. They obviously missed the misaligned guard that you caught.

2. Oh boy, he's not making anything on financing!! Wait till they start writing up the deal. I bought a Ford pickup for towing my race car and paid cash (check). The dealer couldn't believe I didn't want there 1.99% financing. Two days later they called and said how was I going to pay for the truck. I told them I wrote them a check and I had the receipt. "Well we don't have the check" "But we can finance it over the phone and you won't need to come back to the dealer and redo the paperwork" Your check isn't your receipt. I did write them a new check for 500 less for my trouble. They obviously shredded the check.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:04 PM

G55
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Two observations.
1. How did the bumper guard get out of alignment.? I know G wagons are built like a brick shxt house. I'd get a PPI to see if there is any damage from a front end collision. . Was the service an A or B? A's are oil changes, B's are pretty through. . Most of the time there not looking for hidden damage. They obviously missed the misaligned guard that you caught.

2. Oh boy, he's not making anything on financing!! Wait till they start writing up the deal. I bought a Ford pickup for towing my race car and paid cash (check). The dealer couldn't believe I didn't want there 1.99% financing. Two days later they called and said how was I going to pay for the truck. I told them I wrote them a check and I had the receipt. "Well we don't have the check" "But we can finance it over the phone and you won't need to come back to the dealer and redo the paperwork" Your check isn't your receipt. I did write them a new check for 500 less for my trouble. They obviously shredded the check.
1. Yep they missed it. The dealer said that they thoroughly checked over the truck. But they didn't mention if is was specifically an A or B. I honestly don't know how noticeable it is in person. But you can obviously see it in photos.

2. Yeah, after he told me that, I got really turned off. To have the gall to say that you don't make anything on the back-end...
Old 11-16-2018, 03:32 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
Originally Posted by johndong888
Yeah sketch for it be out of alignment. Possibly hit something. But then again, I rather it hit the brush guard than the bumper lol.
actually I prefer damage to bumper since that would only be cosmetic. To bend the brush guard that's attached to the subframe is worst.

Op: also I think you did the right thing passing on the car at that price. Maybe $5k lower
Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 AM

G55
Originally Posted by Venom-AMG
Op: also I think you did the right thing passing on the car at that price. Maybe $5k lower
I guess you're right. KBB low dealer price is $56,838. Trade-in/wholesale is $54,112.