Sponsored by:

Colour and depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Wagon
Colour and depreciation

I'm preparing a build for a new G-wagon and wanted to know if there were any colors that I should stray away from if I looking to maximize that value of the vehicle say 5yrs or 10yrs from now? In other words, I see older black car models a lot in luxury car auctions.

For example: Black exterior w/ Nut Brown interior
versus more unique combo like Dark Olive Green exterior w/ Tartufo/Black interior

Can anyone share some advice on this?
Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Received 449 Likes on 273 Posts
2005 G55K
nevermind. misread and thought you were looking for an older W463.

I think what would make the most sense is to find a color combo that you're happy with and go from there. The 63's will hold their values better than the 550's but you'll have to deal with super long wait times and dealer mark ups, so your experience may vary.

the standard black, gray, and white (glossy and matte) will be safe options and will probably make for an easier sell down the road, but other color combos may bring a slightly higher $ value if you're willing to wait for the right buyer. If you're selling back to a dealer, then it'll be a wash.

Last edited by shiann; 09-02-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Wagon
Thank you!
Old 09-26-2020, 10:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
G63 AMG & G63 AMG Edition One.
I was once told “there is no such thing as a bad color on a good horse “

I am a professional car buyer and have been for 30 years. Color is typically everything when it comes to resale value, but with a G class, the crazy high demand does give you some leeway. Yes, the AMG version will be the one you lose the least on, and black and white are the safest bet, normally. But by all means, buy for you! Just don’t do something crazy like green with blue interior or something like that. You’ll be fine. Buy one for MSRP or less in the AMG model and you’ll get to drive it for free for a year or two. Oh, and yes, if you’re patient and cool to the dealers, they will sell you one for those prices.
Enjoy the thrill of acquisition.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
G63
In my experience color means nothing, especially today when it's easy to wrap your car in literally every possible color.

A dealer may try to tell you your color isn't in demand because he wants to lowball you but there are plenty of buyers of G's out there.

(if you're talking a c300 or e300 maybe slightly different answer)