Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lorinser s500
G55 05 diff pump question

So i got a 05 g55 recently, 125k miles.
troubleshooting the diffs
pressing the center diff button when key is turned does not turn the vacuum pump on. Cant hear it running. Same w engine on
i checked the 3 fuses by dash on drivers side and they are ok
looked at hoses and no obvious issues but figured that doesnt even matter as the pump is not on. Are there other fuses that control this pump, or is this common for them to crap out?
any input is appreciated
i dont think the original owner doctor ever even pressed these buttons or knows what they are or what they do haha (sold it and bought new g63)
pic of the car as it sits, all i did was swap over those nasty orange/red markers.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 G55 AMG, 2014 GL 350 Blutech, 1995 G320, 1992 300 TE 4maticc
Diff pump

First of all. Do you have the car in low gear when trying to engage the center diff? If you do and the pump doesn't come on (as you mention it is audible) your pump may have failed. This seems unlikely since you suspect the diffs have never been used. The placement of the diff switch on these cars is somewhat unfortunate as it sits right between the two vents that blow cold airconditioning og hot heating. This leads to condesation inside the switch and they quite often fail. If this is the case you have a bigger problem as they no longer are produced. I spent a good year trying to find a used one for my 2009 G55 AMG.
To be optimistic, let's say that the air pump comes on and your switch works. You may still have problems engaging the other two diffs. This is because of lack of use. The lines become clogged. Mercedes advises that the diffs shoud be turned on at least once a month. Swapping out the clogged lines is very easy and inexpensive. Hope this helps you a little along the way!