Sponsored by:

2024 Mango Black Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
2024 Mango Black Paint Issue

HI, I Purchased a brand new G63 a few weeks ago. I did not notice at the time of delivery what appears to be faded paint on the rear and hood/fender area.

I contacted the dealer who looked at it and has no clue. They tested the paint thickness of both areas that have the "spots" and where the paint is normal and its the same thickness.

I am wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this. The dealer says it could take a couple weeks to get an official response from MB, and even longer to repaint the whole vehicle.

Thank you for any insight anyone can offer on this. Photos below of the areas

Old 05-20-2024, 09:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
G63
Hi James. I also recently picked up my G63 in Magno Black. Did you ever find out what those blemishes are? I (and a lot of folks here) would be interested as to the status of your issue.

P.S. I am really sorry this happened to you and hope it has been resolved.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:13 PM

G63
Hi James. I would suggest that you repost your original thread under the "W463A" forum instead. For reasons I do not know, most of the 2024 G63 owners are active and post under that forum rather than "W464". That forum (the "W463A") appears to be more robust and you would probably get more feedback/recommendations. The people in that forum seem to have been through everything with their G63s.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
Hi, Thank you for the advice ill create one there as well.

As far as status, MB USA has in some sense admitted there has been these issues. I have an appointment tomorrow with my local dealer who has MB Engineers sent some special product for the paint. They say they will heat the 1st area of question to 160-170 degrees and try this special additive to the paint. Nobody seems very confident that this will work, but say its the first step.

Otherwise they are saying the vehicle will need 100% repainted which also leaves me out a few months there body shop says. So all in all things aren't looking great as to paint it completely it needs fully torn down. And I question if it'll ever be right once put back together....
Old 05-28-2024, 09:08 PM

G63
Sorry you're going through this. That really sucks. A "special product" to heat up the affected area on a matte painted wrap? Just make sure your dealer doesn't cause greater damage to the paint job. Heat (from extensive sun exposure, for example) is typically not a good environment for matte paint. It may actually create blotches of shiny spots, which is exactly what you want to avoid in matte painted cars.
That's just based on my experience and knowledge. I'm sure your dealer knows what they are doing. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S
That's awful. If the purchase was only a few weeks ago I'd insist on them taking it back. If they are saying they may have to repaint the whole car it appears to be an admission the overall paint itself was defective and that should be grounds to exchange it for another new G wagon.

FWIW I have a Mountain Grey Magno AMG GLA 45S. Before speccing the color I asked how difficult it would be to repair scratches or small accidents. The GM replied that the affected area would have to be painted, not the whole car. After realizing matte paint does not take well to buffing out scratches, I applied XPel to the entire car (initially I only did the front hood and side mirrors), something you may want to do once you hopefully sort this out to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Last edited by sjp3003; 05-28-2024 at 11:06 PM.