General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

A Tale Of A 250...(or slap me for buying cars sight unseen!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 W124 230TE
A Tale Of A 250...(or slap me for buying cars sight unseen!)

Hey Everybody, need some thoughts on what to do with this one....The story goes like this: Sorry for the long post...

A car gets advertised...
1978 280E...good condition, drives well, minor rust, lambswool seat covers, $500.00 AU.

500 kms away from us at Mount Gambier, South Australia.

Ok...Ring owner...He thinks it will make it back to Adelaide but needs brakes and a thermostat.
Done deal.....Last time we went on a car buying adventure, we bought an 87 Mitsubishi L300 4WD van over 1000 kms back from Melbourne with no problems.

This is only half the distance...and it's a Mercedes Benz!!!
What could possibly go wrong??? (This is your queue to all laugh hysterically).
Down to the auto parts store....pick up a thermostat and front and rear pads....easy...

Give the kids, 4 of them, Friday off school for our little family adventure....
Hey, it'll give the 16 year old who just got his learner's permit some valuable hours doing high speed country driving...
Off we go in the wife's 7 seater 2001 AUII Ford Falcon wagon, (at least one of us has a sensible car...).
2 hours into the really nice drive get a phone call from the distraught Mercedes owner...apparently his psycho neighbor at some stage has gotten a bit upset with him and put a garden hose in the car and it's a bit wet...
Oh well, I thought, it'll dry...and told him not to stress.

After an uneventful 5 hour drive plus stoppages for girls, we arrive at Mount Gambier at about 8:00 pm.
Book into our cabin at the Pine's Country Caravan Park, (Really nice people!!!), and eagerly go to look at our new acquisition.

Roll up at the house and sure enough, what appears to be a not half bad cream Mercedes in the drive.
Remember I said it was a 1978 280E?....well, straight up the boot lid with its 250 badge started arguing the point.
Oh good....It's not a 280....bugger!...It's not even an E!...no fuel injection....bigger bugger!
Oh well, have a look anyway...
I met the owner who could not stop apologizing and assured him that I would buy it regardless as it had to be worth $500.00.
Look inside...Nice seat covers...good door trims... both a bit damp....and more water in the floor than there is in the ocean!!! I could have gone fishing! Carpets absolutely ruined and coming apart, this thing's been wet for longer than a month or two for sure. Look under the bonnet...sure enough, it's a 250.. with a Chrysler Carter carby very cleverly slotted into place.....hmmmm...what have I bought?
Ok....back to the cabin for a good sleep and assess further in the morning....
Daylight didn't make any of the water go away...I've seen cars that have been in rivers that aren't this wet!....Have a look at the brakes....pads ok...brakes work fine...oh well...engine starts first kick and runs smoothly, gets up to temperature fine and thermostat works ok........Glad I bought all those parts!
All the electrics work well...everything...unbelievable...transmission shifts nicely and the aircon and heater work fine...This one's even got SLS which after driving for 5 minutes stiffens up a little bit and feels bloody good!
Drive it back to the cabin and pleasantly surprised that it doesn't go like how the interior smells.
It actually drives really well....
After cleaning the windows, pulling and throwing out all the carpets, and giving all the chrome and stainless a bit of a scrub it looked decidedly better. (See pic below).
We decided to give it a go and see if it felt like it would make it back.
If not, we'd find somewhere to leave it down there and go back at a later date after we had regrouped.
The trip home was nothing short of astonishing....After really being worried about this thing upon first looking at it, it was just the best fun to drive the 500 kms home. With a full tank of fresh fuel, the more I drove it, the better it got. The brake master cylinder does seem to be needing new seals because the brakes did get a bit spongy about halfway back.
Pulled in to a parking bay, gave them a quick bleed and they were fine.
The engine, while a bit noisy up the top and needing valve adjustment, was as strong as ever and did fairly good fuel mileage.
It's one of those cars that's too good to be stripped for parts, but at the same time, it really isn't the car I wanted.
That said, I've had an adventure with it and really was very proud of how it delivered us safe and sound and as soon as we got back, I jumped on the internet to see what I could find out about this weird cream coloured critter sitting in my driveway.
Really interested to find they didn't make that many of them and the poor things really seemed to languish in the light of the fabulous fuel injected engines.
I really don't know what to do...I love the U.S. look headlights, I absolutely love how sure footed it feels on the road, the suspension is wonderful, and with a polish and some rust cut out, it would look really good. The only damage to the brightwork is on the front bumper bar and once I get all the moss out of all the body joints, I'll feel much better.

I know it's not a fuel injected one or a V8....I know that it'll never have the power or the fuel economy...I know it's going to take a while to stop it smelling like a wet dog....It doesn't have a tachometer or a passenger mirror, but the bloody thing felt like it was trying is heart out to impress me. It sat so quietly at 100 kms per hour, seriously wanting to go faster but I wouldn't let it due to it having retreads on it...bad car!
It handled that well that all I could do on the way back was picture how they look on the open road in all the ads on You Tube from when they were new....tragic huh?

The moral of this story being that I will never buy a car sight unseen again.....(yeah right....)
I really, really don't want to be hooked on this thing....No....really........I mean it!......

So I'd appreciate any input from the forum with regards as to whether these thing are worth keeping, how good the engines are and whether or not I should be shipped off to the Happy Vales Funny Farm.

As always....have a good one!
Attached Thumbnails A Tale Of A 250...(or slap me for buying cars sight unseen!)-kingston.jpg   A Tale Of A 250...(or slap me for buying cars sight unseen!)-home.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 PM

2008 E63, KTM990, 2012 CLS63, 1972 W108 280SE 4.5
I can't say anything about the car, but I did enjoy the reading!

$500? ... Keep it and enjoy it.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM

1987 W124 230TE
Thanks Mate....I think I'll have to hang onto it....No one else would like it....I keep walking out the back and I'm sure it's happier here....I mean...not being full of water and all....I didn't mean the car
looked....er...happy....hahah....no....er....not at all...that would just be ..um.....silly....(How many hours did I spent playing with the bloody thing this week????).....Not a car that I would get attached to at all....honestly......and the previous owner has had his 6(!!!)....dogs in the car....The interior looks like it's been attacked by a Yeti!.....should clean up though....did I mention that I'm not gunna get attached to it?......and it's bloody impossible to get a workshop manual here for it......SLS is better than on my 87 230 TE......needs tyres.....Rotten thing starts first bloody kick every time....

I need a lie down....

Have a good one ......

not getting attached........
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM

2008 E63, KTM990, 2012 CLS63, 1972 W108 280SE 4.5
Originally Posted by ellegon
Thanks Mate....I think I'll have to hang onto it....No one else would like it....I keep walking out the back and I'm sure it's happier here....I mean...not being full of water and all....I didn't mean the car
looked....er...happy....hahah....no....er....not at all...that would just be ..um.....silly....(How many hours did I spent playing with the bloody thing this week????).....Not a car that I would get attached to at all....honestly......and the previous owner has had his 6(!!!)....dogs in the car....The interior looks like it's been attacked by a Yeti!.....should clean up though....did I mention that I'm not gunna get attached to it?......and it's bloody impossible to get a workshop manual here for it......SLS is better than on my 87 230 TE......needs tyres.....Rotten thing starts first bloody kick every time....

I need a lie down....

Have a good one ......

not getting attached........

Not to worry, only if the car (or should I say he?) starts talking to you!!
..... Considering this hasn't happened yet ... right?