General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

560 sec purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013 | 03:49 PM

public transit
560 sec purchase

hey guys, i would like to know your opinion on two vehicles i am looking into, a white 1990 560 sec with 190k km, or a black 1987 sec with 290k km.
Both are for sale by the same seller the white one is asking 4500 obviously seems better but the body lines are crooked with an amg bumper slapped on. the black one is in excellent condition in terms of the body, and it has low pro monoblock wheels asking 3700. idk if i can post ads here, but the ads are on kijiji toronto. i have yet to test drive/probe the seller/inspect the vehicles but the prices seem really low, or is that what they typically go for now?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ516676076
Old 10-12-2013 | 03:53 AM

BMW 2011
Can't say this time...!
Old 10-20-2013 | 12:58 AM

'91 560SEC; '89 560SEC
I've owned four SECs, and still have two ('91 and '89). Far and away the best vehicles I've had the pleasure to drive -- re performance, handling, engineering, stellar and timeless looks. Re the two candidates you're considering... the high mileage (190K and 290K) makes that factor a 'push.' So, relying on other factors, the fit and finish loom large, with the crooked body lines being a major red flag re the Arctic White '90 (...probable collision damage; possible bent frame). Since you say the Black coupe is in xlnt condition re the body, and esp. given the low price, it's very likely to be your better, safer choice. I bought my '91 with 84,000 for less than $3,700.00, and it might be the case that your prospective seller will reduce the $3,700.00 asking price. Final note: these S-Class coupes were state-of-the-art for their reign from '81 to '91; they are not economy machines. However, with the right owner who knows and appreciates what they are, and is able to put some reasonable dollars into basic rehab -- these classic coupes will bring more driving and ownership satisfaction than any other, non-exotic, factory production vehicle (...my two SECs are ultra-reliable, "daily drivers," and get more "eyeballs" than currently-sold, new MBZs and new BMW 5, 6 and 7-Series cars that abound here in coastal, Southern CA). The SEC is so durable, safe and fun, it is easily possible for one to drive his / her W126 coupe for life (...no car payments, low insurance costs, super-low renewal registrations... maybe it's an economy car after all!).