General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

New '72 280SE 4.5 Owner!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
New '72 280SE 4.5 Owner!

Hi everyone!

After a few years absence, I’m back on the forum. This time with a whole new kind of MB! I’m the proud new owner of a 1972 280SE 4.5! And, since I know the protocol around here, first things first. Click here for the pics!

I’m loving the car; it’s in great condition. Most stuff that it needs is either cosmetic or minor mechanical. It runs amazingly well and the interior is in fantastic shape.

Of course, I have A TON of questions. I don’t have an owner’s manual (planning on buying one), but for now here are a few inquiries:
  • What is the proper position of the Defrost sliders to make sure that it is OFF?
  • What do the two knobs on the bottom of the gauge cluster do?
  • The gauge cluster light is out, how do I replace the light bulb(s)?
  • What does the knob between the light switch and the speaker balance knob do?
  • Can the A/C be upgraded, and if so can anyone can share their experience after upgrading? I’m in Florida and the A/C doesn’t seem able to keep up in this horrible summer heat.
  • The steering wheel has A LOT of play. Any ideas?
  • And last but not least...
  • One headrest is straight up and the other is bent forward. I cannot move them to save my life! How can I adjust them?

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated. And, I’m SO HAPPY to be back on the forum!!!

Jose

Last edited by baxterdown; 06-29-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:34 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Very clean!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd