General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Classic antique mercedes benz help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
avalanche
Classic antique mercedes benz help needed

I have a grill in perfect condition from a Mercedes which I believe to be late 50 or early 60. It was my parents, which have both passed on, I took the grill off when I was 12, 35 years ago. I am trying to date the year and model. All I have is a picture of it rotting away when I was younger. The car is not there anymore. Can anyone help me identify the year and make based off this picture? Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Classic antique mercedes benz help needed-mercedes.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Originally Posted by jtaplin
I have a grill in perfect condition from a Mercedes which I believe to be late 50 or early 60. It was my parents, which have both passed on, I took the grill off when I was 12, 35 years ago. I am trying to date the year and model. All I have is a picture of it rotting away when I was younger. The car is not there anymore. Can anyone help me identify the year and make based off this picture? Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
That reminds me of a car my parents had when I was a kid. I am not an expert but my memory tells me it might be a 180, 190 or 220 but difficult to tell from that pic. As I recall the body of the 180, 190 or 220 was not changed much from the mid 1950s to early 1960s. If I recall the main difference between the 180, 190 and 220 was the engine choices available.

A real MB fan or expert may be able to help give more specific direction.