General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Should I Buy This '79 240D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel
Should I Buy This '79 240D

I love my 1985 300D, but I've always wanted one of these cars. $4000 this 1979 240D seems like it's around top of the market price. I think I could get to $3500.

Only 250K miles, 4 speed manual (just broken in)

Seller is an out-of-state mechanic and dealer of European cars with a good reputation and he has spared no labor, so I feel like I'd get my money's worth. No rust, interior in great shape, engine solid, vacuums good to go, AC works.

Most of the private listings for are going for $1500-$2500, but few have any maintenance records and talk in circles when you ask questions. How is it that every other Mercedes D I find is the result of a friend owing them money...so they know nothing about the car. Oh, Craigslist.

Anyway...

It seems like a pretty solid deal, just making sure I'm not delusional...and nobody on the web lets you off the hook easily.

It's only been listed a week, but it seems like an opportunity I shouldn't squander.

Thanks for not going easy on me. Let me know if I should leave work now and start driving, tell the guy to go fly a German tank or slow play him.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 W124 E320 Euro model, 98 ML320 & 78 240D
If you bought it, please report about your experience. Been looking for one myself.