General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

1979 300td Caster/Camber Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 300td
1979 300td Caster/Camber Problems

First post so be easy if i make a mistake!

Im having some very annoying problems with my 79 300td. My problem is that the alignment shop while able to fix my tow, is unable to fix my camber which is eating through my tires. From what i understand both the camber and caster are dependent upon each other. I understand the eccentric bolt adjusts camber, and im still not quite sure how the caster is adjusted along with how it moves with the adjustment of the camber. From what i can tell by looking at the guide rod mount pin no attempts made by the garage to adjust this. However here is the kicker, when I drive forward my car sits up almost like somebody has raised the front end and the tires camber becomes negative like \ /. And when i back up two feet the car sits back down and the camber fixes itself. Ive replaced almost all of the bushings and still no cigar. After further investigation my next guess is that the guide rod mount is lose and needs to be replaced. Any guidance or prior experience similar to this problem would be much appreciated!