General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

buying 560sl need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
buying 560sl need help!

Hello,

I am currently looking for a classic convertible for myself and I have always had a love for the SL. The first classic car I drove was a 1987 560SL and I was in love ever since.

Recently I have been seriously shopping for a SL and I saw a 1986 560sl for sale at a local classic car shop. This sl has has $10k worth of work done to it and it only has 86K miles. The soft top needs to be replaced and the interior is about 90% clean. It drove nice but it didn't feel all too solid and as soon as i accelerated the engine screeched as if it didn't want to be pushed. The guy is asking $16k for it but I was going to make a lower offer.

As soon as I finished test driving the '86, an identical 1989 560sl pulled in the lot and the owner was bringing it in to sell! It is the exact same color both inside and out and it is a one owner car. The owner was very nice and has driven the car over 214k miles. The mileage on this one scares me but it seems as it has been better maintained. I just drove this one and it feels like it has less miles than the '86! There were small things to note such as the horn not working, the antenna not raising, and the steering being slightly loose. The owner is asking $10k for the 1989.

I have reached out to numerous people in regards to this purchase and I have received mixed reviews. My service technician at my local benz says that I need to put a few thousand into making it what I want, but he has never seen it. (I want it as a weekend warrior). Another friend said it is very sound but keeps telling me "its a classic, be prepared."

Are there any 560sl owners or any service technicians that can advise?!

Thank You!!