General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

1969 230S 4Speed manual On tree Shifting issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 230S 4spd Manual
Exclamation 1969 230S 4Speed manual On tree Shifting issues.

Hello there!
I have recently purchased a 69' 230S and have been experiencing some shifting issues.
When I purchased the car it had 2 shift bushings missing and I replaced and re-aligned the transmission according to the Haynes manual for that particular shifter set up. After measuring out how far the rods had to be and making sure it was all perfect I had a friend of mine attempt to shift through the gears and for about 20 minutes it would only shift in 1-2 and R. Only those levers would move. Then after messing with it and shifting in the exact same way the car suddenly decided it was done with 1-2 gear and then started only shifting in 3-4 and R. Then with my buddy still shifting the same way he had been it would not shift into 1-2 anymore on 3-4 and R. I grabbed the shift rod and moved it in and out of 1-2 gear and the only response it would give on the shifter side was that it would wobble the shifter in small little circles in the neutral position. Im stumped on the issue and would appreciate any insight on the problem! Thank you.