General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

New, Need help with an S280!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S280
New, Need help with an S280!

Hello, first off I'm new to the community here,

So, I recently acquired a Mercedes Benz 1972 S280 4-Door from a friend who was just desperate to get rid of some of his cars from his auto shop because he is leaving the country. The vehicle had been sitting on a lot for many years. From what I know, it doesn't have a key, tires are bad, some things from the engine are missing like a carburetor but other then that the body has no damage, the inside is great. I'm looking to restoring the vehicle and its located in Waco, TX. I was wondering if anyone can connect me to someone and give me some feedback. Also, Is a vehicle like this worth the money to restore? I see that the 2 door S280s are quite the collectors, what about the sedans? Will provide more information and pictures soon.

Thank you.

Last edited by TTTran; 02-17-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,953 Likes on 3,109 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What year is it? It comes as a surprise to me that a 1990s era small displacement sedan is attracting interest from collectors. Additionally, collectors usually are attracted to pristine condition, low mileage, special or uniquely configured models. Is your friend's car any of those?
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S280
It is a 1972 Mercedes Benz S280.

I don't have the actual pictures of it just yet but I've seen it in person a few times. I've looked for images on google with models similar to this and this is one that looks just like it.

Its unique looking, I see the two door models being more of a collector but this is a sedan. The mileage is low 100k. Will provide pictures once I get my hands on it.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:37 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TTTran
Hello, first off I'm new to the community here,

So, I recently acquired a Mercedes Benz 1972 S280 4-Door from a friend who was just desperate to get rid of some of his cars from his auto shop because he is leaving the country. The vehicle had been sitting on a lot for many years. From what I know, it doesn't have a key, tires are bad, some things from the engine are missing like a carburetor but other then that the body has no damage, the inside is great. I'm looking to restoring the vehicle and its located in Waco, TX. I was wondering if anyone can connect me to someone and give me some feedback. Also, Is a vehicle like this worth the money to restore? I see that the 2 door S280s are quite the collectors, what about the sedans? Will provide more information and pictures soon.

Thank you.
Hello
So the deal with the 72 S280 you are looking at is it really isn't very collectible these days. The issue is it has the 4 doors.
If it was the 280SL or a 280SE coupe you would be in business.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Good luck
Johan