General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

VIN Help on 78 SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 MB 450SL
Unhappy VIN Help on 78 SL

I have aquired, thru an estate, a couple of older SL's. one is a 1978 450SL 4 speed that appears to be a euro car..
Since MB is not in my wheelhouse, I am looking for some decent resources as to deciphering the details of this car.
We cannot find a VIN anywhere, so this may be a "hot vehicle" at some point in its life.
It has a NJ tag of com sort inside the drivers side door jamb, but the number yields no additional info
The title shows a strange number as a VIN 14 digit, all numeric VIN which none of the online decoders can decipher.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-17-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C250
https://www.theslshop.com/clubhouse/...-sl-vin-plate/

Try this link. The key is to find as many vins on the vehicle as possible. You should search for vin locations and figure out which one you want to decode first. Its also possible some won't match because of repairs/replacements.

Last edited by HBguy; 07-17-2021 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Twinllamas (07-17-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 MB 450SL
additional info

VIN decoder calls this car a 350SL but all badging and title have it as a 450SL. Seems like someone took a 350 and added some 450 markers and a 4.5l motor to create a 450 clone?? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by HBguy
https://www.theslshop.com/clubhouse/...-sl-vin-plate/

Try this link. The key is to find as many vins on the vehicle as possible. You should search for vin locations and figure out which one you want to decode first. Its also possible some won't match because of repairs/replacements.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C250
Originally Posted by Twinllamas
VIN decoder calls this car a 350SL but all badging and title have it as a 450SL. Seems like someone took a 350 and added some 450 markers and a 4.5l motor to create a 450 clone?? Thoughts?
badging and title mean nothing on cars that old. How do you know you have the 4.5? Even the engine could be non-original.

I think the general consensus with states is that the vijn on frame and engine are the vins it should ve registered as. You should first break down how many vins you have as a stsrting point. Then you can eliminate any that are possible replacements from repairs or whatever.

If you have what i call a frankenstein, a collection of parts from various cars, dont worry about it and for selling purposes, stick to how its registered. And sell it cheap so you dont incur post sale headaches.

it honestly sounds like a frankenstein, and with old cars, there's nothing wrong with them not being concours d elegance showstoppers.