General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Leather fragrance in old Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 03:57 PM

W109, W112, R107
Leather fragrance in old Mercedes

Hi,
My memories from my fathers old mercedes, of which I now own two (w109 and W112), comes very much from the nice smell from the leather.
Does anyone know how to recreate this fragrance? I have tried Leather Essence from Colourlock and also a product from Glipstone but they do not compare.
I understand that the special Mercedes fragrance came from the tanning of the leather which back then was made with other chemicals than being used today.

Old 09-02-2021 | 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Zainos leather in a bottle smells good...

You have to clean car and not use things that have an odor... the carpets if original would be over powering any leather due to al lthe stuff they can hold.
ANy mold inside from old water leak?

Also tanning process way different back then (think cancerous chemicals) versus todays stuff..

Also as we age our memory fades and well the noses memory aint so good anymore.
Old 09-02-2021 | 01:58 PM

W109, W112, R107
Originally Posted by ygmn
Zainos leather in a bottle smells good...

You have to clean car and not use things that have an odor... the carpets if original would be over powering any leather due to al lthe stuff they can hold.
ANy mold inside from old water leak?

Also tanning process way different back then (think cancerous chemicals) versus todays stuff..

Also as we age our memory fades and well the noses memory aint so good anymore.
Hi,
My 300 SEL (W109) is completely restored with new leather interior, carpets etc. I want to find a product that imitates the old Mercedes tanning smell.
I have not forgotten the smell. I have a pair of leather glowes that have the correct smell.

:-)
Old 09-03-2021 | 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Well when you find it post back as you need to leather care products until you find one that has the smell you are looking for.

There is no 300 SEL LEATHER SMELL in a bottle I know of.