General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

220D Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2021 | 10:37 AM

1969 Mercedes-Benz 220D
Question 220D Tail lights

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 1969 220D. The car is in great shape, less an issue with the tail lights.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but the issue is as follows:

Headlights off: both left and right running lights do not come on, but the right turn signal lights when activated, while the left does not. both brake lights come on when brake is pushed.
Headlights on: the left running light comes on, but the right does not. Both turn signals flash when lever is activated. Only the right brake light comes on when brake is pushed.

When i activate the hazards, they flash in an alternating pattern.

Any tips, suggestions on how to go about resolving the problem? I have been suggested to look for grounding issues, but I am not entirely sure where to begin.

I appreciate any help with this puzzle, and am happy to be a member!
Old 10-23-2023 | 08:40 AM

1968 220D
Originally Posted by WheelSnipes
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 1969 220D. The car is in great shape, less an issue with the tail lights.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but the issue is as follows:

Headlights off: both left and right running lights do not come on, but the right turn signal lights when activated, while the left does not. both brake lights come on when brake is pushed.
Headlights on: the left running light comes on, but the right does not. Both turn signals flash when lever is activated. Only the right brake light comes on when brake is pushed.

When i activate the hazards, they flash in an alternating pattern.

Any tips, suggestions on how to go about resolving the problem? I have been suggested to look for grounding issues, but I am not entirely sure where to begin.

I appreciate any help with this puzzle, and am happy to be a member!
Hi WheelSnipes,
I own a 1968 220D. Did you have any luck with your issue? I’m having a problem where I’ve lost my horn, signals, hazards and wipers. Wondering if it’s a ground issue too…
thanks!