General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

w114 280 CE. Help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w114 280CE, R129 SL500, CLS550
Unhappy w114 280 CE. Help needed

Hi Comrades,

Couple of months ago I got w114 280 CE, previous owner is MB enthusiast he told me that in addition to horrible respray job, car only needed a new head gasket. after speaking to my mechanic I decided to proceed with the vehicle. My mechanic who would always come to my garage and fix things on my various cars was not much of a help, he actually ran without looking back. so situation was and is following. Fuel system has been replaced (you can hear fuel pump when you turn the keys) car starts but after minute or two it dies.

1) So my guess is distributor which needs to be replaced/converted to electronic one, I've read a lot about Petronix systems which I am thinking of getting. Also the air and fuel mixture should be adjusted (as I read). despite the little experience which i have with cars I am determined to get this car back on the road one way or another (with your help).

2) Upon inspection, I found few minor issues (I hope minor) There is a hose on lower part of radiator which is broken and leaks oil, and two hoses which I have no clue where they are from ( I will post pictures tomorrow )

3) Car was repainted and the engine was taken out, someone has done a lot of electrical stuff to the car, everything seems to be connected but there are still not connected wires hanging inside, I tried using a manual to indicate and locate what comes from where no luck, if someone can explain or show pictures that would be great.

4) Break pedal is non responsive, Ive checked for break fluid (its there), all callipers are there seem to be refurbished with breaklines being connected. I will bleed breaks tomorrow, if it does not fix the issue should I try rebuilding master cylinder?

5) Transmission seems to be a bit of a problem too, it does not engage in the gear, is there any troubleshooting I can do ?

I know it seems like a hell of a job and you might think that it would be something for experienced mechanic to do and on the question why I would not take the car to someone who knows and let it be there id answer that a) I did and they were too busy restoring 190 SL, Pagodas and etc for ultrarich so my project was not financially interesting enough so they kindly said to find a place elsewhere. I came to realisation that in order to own a classic you need to know your way around, so I think it would be a great learning experience for me and teaching experience for you so thanks in advance.

Hose under radiator

Old 01-01-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250 1970/c280 1998
I see your car is a right hand drive, where did it come from? what year is it. I have a 114 250c 1970- the cars came pre-wired from the factory for some accessories like A/C.I have the factory service manuals. so if you let me know what you are looking at I may be able to help