General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Difference between Euro and American spec W109/W108

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 300SEL 6.3
Smile Difference between Euro and American spec W109/W108

Hey, I'm 19 years old and really into W109s and W108s, I restored and sold a W108 a year ago and recently bought and am restoring a W109. However, I do know that there are some differences between the Euro Spec and American Spec W108s and W109s, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the first difference, I know of the blinkers. These are the blinkers on a Euro Spec W109, they are inside the "headlight housing". The blinkers on the American version are mounted on the front of the car.

For this picture, I noticed two things and this is where I could be wrong. I'm not sure whether the extra brake light and rear seat head rests are stock or not. Are these stock on the European Version?

The interior material I know is very different as well. I believe this is the velour interior, which was not in the American Cars.
European Spec ones also didn't have A/C as seen in the photo.

The instrument cluster is also a bit different, it says oel instead of oil and the generator and such is in German.

Those are all the differences I know, if there are any that I'm missing, please let me know, I'm very curious. Also, I'm sorry but I do 2 more questions. For one, in the picture above, I don't really understand how the engine redlines at 5k to 5.5k. The engine can handle more rpms, but why does it red line there? And for my second question, also shown in the picture above, for the speedometer. What are the little yellow lines below the 60 and the 80?
Old 03-16-2023, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SE220
Not sure of the details in differences but that is a gorgeous machine there.