Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

"Fallen-Benz" Do You believe it can improve?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but hey...I'm new here, so please gimme a break!

I believe Mercedes decline in quality started with the old A-Class W168, which was already a Schrempp's idea before, he took the control of the Mercedes brand in 1996.

However, the Mercedes problems only became serious after the company merged with Chrysler in 1998.

The first-gen A-Class was a mediocre execution of what Mercedes-Benz was capable off, it was poorly built, slow, horrible to drive and overpriced. A prime example of poor engineering and marketing.

Sure, Mercedes needed changes but couldn't they put just a bit more of effort on the A-Class? Badge alone is not just enough, but the A-Class, not even how much improved the new model is compared to the old one, will ever, be seen as a true Mercedes.

Schrempp's plan was simple: Reduce costs wherever possible.

That explains the overall cheap feel of the old ML-Class W163 along with its poor reliability. The M-Class was a concept car, just 1 year before MB introduced as a production model in 1997.

Mercedes presented the ML-Class as the ML-Vision in the Detroit Motor Show in 1996. Just a year later, they introduced the production ML-Class. How much adaptation tests you think, they probably done on the concept???

The result as we all know, it was disastrous. The old SUV was a prime of example of cost cutting mediocrity.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
we'll know very soon if things are going to change at MB with the 2007 S-Class. Its a totally new car, so this is their chance to change things. A year from now this forum will be full of reports I'm sure, so we'll know whats going on.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by Andaluz
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but hey...I'm new here, so please gimme a break!

I believe Mercedes decline in quality started with the old A-Class W168, which was already a Schrempp's idea before, he took the control of the Mercedes brand in 1996.

However, the Mercedes problems only became serious after the company merged with Chrysler in 1998.

The first-gen A-Class was a mediocre execution of what Mercedes-Benz was capable off, it was poorly built, slow, horrible to drive and overpriced. A prime example of poor engineering and marketing.

Sure, Mercedes needed changes but couldn't they put just a bit more of effort on the A-Class? Badge alone is not just enough, but the A-Class, not even how much improved the new model is compared to the old one, will ever, be seen as a true Mercedes.

Schrempp's plan was simple: Reduce costs wherever possible.

That explains the overall cheap feel of the old ML-Class W163 along with its poor reliability. The M-Class was a concept car, just 1 year before MB introduced as a production model in 1997.

Mercedes presented the ML-Class as the ML-Vision in the Detroit Motor Show in 1996. Just a year later, they introduced the production ML-Class. How much adaptation tests you think, they probably done on the concept???

The result as we all know, it was disastrous. The old SUV was a prime of example of cost cutting mediocrity.
Where are you from?
Have you haver drived the A class, old and new model??
The new A class is a all new car, nothing to do with the old model, and its better constructed than mine 03' C class, I think MB started to improve quality in their cars since 2004 when they announced a cut in profits to invest in quality, and its noticable in newer cars

One question here, where did you get that Jeremy clarkson video?
LOLOLLL, I never saw it, at least in top gear series
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by gaiex
Where are you from?
Have you haver drived the A class, old and new model??
The new A class is a all new car, nothing to do with the old model, and its better constructed than mine 03' C class, I think MB started to improve quality in their cars since 2004 when they announced a cut in profits to invest in quality, and its noticable in newer cars

One question here, where did you get that Jeremy clarkson video?
LOLOLLL, I never saw it, at least in top gear series

Hello Gaiex.

I'm a Portuguese living in UK.

I actually drove, the new A-Class with the 1.8 Turbo Diesel engine. I have to say: I'm impressed with the new car.

The old one was undeniably crappy.

I agree with you, about the improvement on quality, but they still have a long way, until they finally convince the ex-customers, the quality is back.

I much prefer Mercedes doing well in surveys, than announcing, on how they will improve.

Sure, it's always nice to know, they are working to revert the situation, but please MB, make it quietly and let the surveys show on how you improved.

My father owns a 2005 E320 CDI. He loves it, my mother loves it and I love it as well.

The car have been totally reliable in nearly 7 months of ownership. Not a single fault whatsoever! HA! TAKE THAT J.D POWER!

I've heard good things about the CLS interior.

As for my signature...I got that from the last Jeremy Clarkson DVD, called "Jeremy Clarkson's Heaven and Hell"

Here's the Torrent to download: http://www.mininova.org/tor/168778

Nice video.

Best Wishes.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
ON PROBATION

I expect the quality and reliability to be up on the entire production...we shall soon see....
Old 01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Nice to see one more Portuguese here (I'm one too, if you didn't notice)

My father allways had MB, but last year when he was searching a replacement for his 98' CLK200k we looked in the E class, but too many problems known, and he bougth his first Audi, and I don't think he is going to return to MB rigth now, only if MB makes a all new car and get rid off all the known problems, specially the diesel engine problems...
In the other hand, I'm enjoying my first MB, beside some minors and some engine major problems, one thing Audi is good at

Last edited by gaiex; 01-22-2006 at 07:24 PM.