Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Argument about tint again...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2005 | 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Argument about tint again...

Just for fun.... I was reading the Owners Manual for a New 2005 Infiniti G35.
I came across these Quotes in the manual that were also shaded for extra highlight.
"Do not place metalized film tint near the rear window glass or attach any metal parts to it. This may cause poor reception or noise"
Goes on to say it can even interfere with the G35's tire pressure sensor.
So metalized tint ???? More research???

Last edited by idrive; 10-29-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2005 | 10:28 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by idrivatitleist
Just for fun.... I was reading the Owners Manual for a New 2005 Infiniti G35.
I came across these Quotes in the manual that were also shaded for extra highlight.
"Do not place metalized film tint near the rear window glass or attach any metal parts to it. This may cause poor reception or noise"
Goes on to say it can even interfere with the G35's tire pressure sensor.
So metalized tint ???? More research???
This is commonly referred to as Titanium or Mirror tint. Some tint companies; Huper-Optik for example produces a special tint call Drei. This tint is rather light, comes in 37 and 76 percentages however it appears rather mirrored due to the metal flakes in the tint. I actually wanted to use this for our 06 c230 which I had tinted this week but I opted for the non-mettalic huperoptik becuase of GPS and Radio Reception issues. On certain cars it will interfere and certain ones will not, many say that the radio issues are really only a problem once you go far from the main tower. Huper-Optik, Llumar, etc all make non-mettalic tints which wont affect anything and imo are the only two I would use for any of my cars. The Huper will run you around double the price of standard tint or the llumar film; however it is a ceramic based tint which is thick and reduces more than 50% of the suns rays. On the plus note for the Drei tint, I heard it reduces like 90% keeping the car extremely cool. Me and Bkylnbenz used the LLumar on my e500 and his clk320 and were very pleased. I used the Huper on my CLS500 + C230K and think it gives a much more depthier appearance.

Fazooley
Old 10-30-2005 | 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
I personally agree that the metalized tint does hinder reception. I didn't realize or know it at the time but my 03 M5 had the metalized tint and in the outlying areas my reception was so poor it was sad.
I used the ceramic tint from huper optic on my cls55 with fantastic results
There are many people who say the metalized tint does not effect the reception at all. Would like to see some before and after tests...
Obviosly the manufacturers are seeing a problem with the metalized tint. I think all car makers will heed this warning in their manuals sooner than later.