Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Tinting windows cost more for Benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Tinting windows cost more for Benz?

I went to get a price on getting the windows tinted on my 2001 C320 and the tint guy said it was going to be another 150$ because because they've gotta cover the door panels with plastic due to the side curtain air bags. Sounded like a bunch of BS to me. What do yall think?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 156 Posts
99 E320
it sounds and smells. at most, they might add $10 or 20 fer that fancy
moleskin or felt fuzz to line the window rubber. Seattle Accutint, E320 all
7 panes $220+ sales tax for Llumar 35%
Old 11-04-2005, 07:10 PM

i still dont see how covering door panels with plastic takes 150 dollars, i would go insult the shop and just cover the panels yourself and tell them to tint it lol
Old 11-04-2005, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by stephen4785
gotta cover the door panels with plastic due to the side curtain air bags. Sounded like a bunch of BS to me. What do yall think?
I've never heard of anything like this needing to be done. Nor can I figure out what they mean. The panels are already covered in plastic but that has
nothing to do with window tint. Also, the air bag is outside the plastic covering....duh, or it wouldn't work! Make sure you get the moleskin when you do have it done.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 AM

'06 CLS55 P030
benz window tint

I agree, the labor cost of tint is(should be) universal..ur house, car, boat, etc. should all be similar in cost if the same amount of film is used. UNLESS u have some kind of design u want in the tint OR u have a pain-in-the-*** car that requires more work...i.e crazy rear window design OR old tint film that needs removal. You probably ran into a greedy punk thats got his eye on a new aluminum wing for his Civic. However, one problem I have noticed in Benz, especially 210 chassis, is the inside window seals on the doors (at the top of the door panel, inside) over time scratchs the tint film badly...this looks crappy and is difficult to see out of. The more u use ur power windows the more they get scratched. IS IT possible he gave you an estimate to R&R the inside door panels and remove, and/or modify these seal strips in some way that they will not damage the film? If so....it is worth it.. If not...then find someone else....cost should be around 125-200 bucks...or so.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Time for you to go to another tint shop. Sounds like they are trying to scam you. The only thing that you need to probably add is the moleskins/synthetic strips for each window. This will help prevent scratches as you roll your window up/down frequently.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
my tint guy did my rear windshield and rear doors on my c230 for $150... i moved and went to another shop to have my front windows done and they wanted to charge $350 because of some micro fiber along the window they have to be careful of... what ever... just find a decent guy to take your car too, my previous tint guy had done 4 previous cars for me so he did not mark up the price, if you live in nor cal let me know i will give you his name and number.