Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Maintenance - Dealer or Independent - Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Maintenance - Dealer or Independent - Pros/Cons

Shouldn't mbworld have a Maintenance Section? Well anyways, just want to get some feedback on where to go for routine servicing. I drive a 2001 E55 AMG, low miles, just 21000. Never any problems except to replace a dash unit (LED readouts went bad). Now the car is 4 1/2 years old, and feel that going to the dealer is wrong for stuff like changing tranny and diff fluid, or power steering fluid flush out, etc., all of which have yet to be done since I took delivery of the car. FWIW, I have 3 1/2 years left on the extended warranty (and/or 79000 miles??).

There seems to be several independent Mercedes shops here in Las Vegas. Hopefully some local members have personal experiences to share.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=mac2001] FWIW, I have 3 1/2 years left on the extended warranty (and/or 79000 miles??).QUOTE]
At your usage rate you probably will have 3 1/2 years remaining. Are you happy with the dealer service? If you are, why change? Cost is lower with independents but price isn't always the best qualifier.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
You are right about the low usage. The thing with the dealer service, I don't particularly care for the practice of insulating the mechanics from the customer, which is the standard operating procedure for the service departments. I realize that the majority of the people may not even care to speak directly with the technician, and if they could, would not understand much of the tech talk anyways, so the dealerships just don't want to waste the customers time or the mechanics time.

Secondly, the service advisors aren't necessarily knowledgable - they should be well conversant with most technical aspects, but that is just my uninformed opinion. So, I am not unhappy, however, I figure why not take the time to find a shop and mechanic that can interface with me and take good care of my car. If it doesn't save me a cent, not a problem.

How have you done so far with maintenance/service on your C320?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by mac2001
How have you done so far with maintenance/service on your C320?
Many problems but all solved under standard and extended warranty. Do my own service now. Replaced a window regulator myself on my own dime. If the car didn't drive so well I wouldn't keep it due to the problems. Trade off is I work on it more than a Japanese car but the effort is worth it. No problems that caused me to be stranded or limited the use of the car.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you do go to an independent shop, find a good one. Working at a dealer, we see how they screw up a lot of things. Don't get me wrong, there are some great technicians out there in the independent world. Basically, try out some shops that pple recommend and make sure they are a good reputible shop. Its pretty much a gamble. Good luck.