Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

drain plug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 S 420
Unhappy drain plug

I changed oil in my 1995 S 420 and noticed I was not able to snug down the oil pan drain plug (12 by 1.5). Spoke to a shop that specializes in MMB repair. I was told the drain plugs are soft the failure must be in the plug threads and not the pan -sounds good so far.

I bought a new drain plug and crush gasket and with my ratchet tried to remove drain plug. Plug turned, but would not back out. Now drain plug turns in either direction, but not with fingers. A few drops of oil on ground already.

So do I remove plug and replace with new plug and hope for the best; pay dealer for a new oil pan (raise the motor) and also replace leaking oil pan gasket? or Fix it so drain plug is glued in place and buy a Topsider?

Current risk is that drain plug could back on its own while driving.

Chuck
Old 03-12-2006, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yet another example of why oil evacuation through dipstick tube is the preferred method.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by chuck gainor
So do I remove plug and replace with new plug and hope for the best; pay dealer for a new oil pan (raise the motor) and also replace leaking oil pan gasket? or Fix it so drain plug is glued in place and buy a Topsider?
If your oil pan gasket is leaking and tightening the pan doesn't help then replace the pan (big $!). If the drain plug is leaking first see if a new plug works then glue it in if it doesn't. Did you strip the plug or did it come that way? No shame in stripping threads, if you haven't stripped a thread then you haven't tightened enough bolts/nuts yet